News

No bail for man over axe attacks

THE 54-year-old man who allegedly attacked an elderly man with an axe in the Bundaberg Lawn Cemetery on Saturday morning has been denied bail.

Kenan Demirci, of Avenell Heights, did not enter a plea to attempted murder when he appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court Monday morning.

Demirci, a man of average height with grey hair and a well-kept moustache, sat stoically in the docks as the bail application proceeded and did not react when Magistrate Jennifer Batts denied the application.

The accused, dressed in a brown prison jumper, blue pants and blue socks, remained handcuffed throughout proceedings.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Toddman told the court the 74-year-old man Demirci allegedly attacked was left with major skull damage with skull fragments lodged in the man's head.

Sgt Toddman also handed up a series of documents explaining why police objected to Demirci receiving bail.

As Magistrate Jennifer Batts read the documents, a relative of Demirci began to loudly sob and as she was being escorted from the court room, the woman collapsed.

Ms Batts adjourned the court for a short period so the woman could leave and it could be determined whether she needed medical assistance.

Demirci calmly sat and watched as the woman was escorted from the court room.

Defence lawyer Rian Dwyer said Demirci was a Turkish national who cared for his disabled son.

Mr Dwyer said Demirci had been at the cemetery to visit the grave of his son who had died two months earlier.

He said Demirci had no intention of contacting the alleged victim

"They know each other but instructs they don't want to have anything to do with them," he said.

Mr Dwyer said Demirci had indicated he planned to fight the charge.

Ms Batts denied the bail application as she deemed Demirci an unacceptable risk to reoffend.

The matter is expected to return to court on June 1.

Topics:  attempted murder, bundaberg magistrates court




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

How Warwick's hospital could be stripped of $63m

Deuchar resident Trevor Ives is heading up a GetUp petition against Federal Government cuts of as much as $62.8 million to funding at Warwick Hospital.

Fight to stop funding cuts that could cost 32 doctors or 66 nurses

Agro’s back in Warwick for adults-only show

AGRO'S BACK: Australian TV icon Agro and his mate Jamie Dunn will be in Warwick for their Agro Up Late show on Saturday night.

Agro Up Late coming to Warwick RSL

Hats off to Australia’s young and hungry readers

HATS GALORE: Luca Mckenzie holds the book I Got This Hat, which he and his prep class read together for Simultaneous Storytime.

Children across Australia read as part of Simultaneous Storytime.

Latest deals and offers


She’ll be apples in Stanthorpe as festival kicks off

Jonathan Apple, festival president John Thouard, former Young Ambassadors Miriam Spina and Taylah Wantling and Isabella Grape welcomed the start of the 2016 Festival.

It’s a great start for the 10 days of festival ahead'

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked

Caloundra’s former Centrepoint Buffet site up for sale

FOR SALE: The home of the old Centrepoint Buffet

Restaurant fined for unhygienic practices closed months ago