News

Brown snake bites woman

A brown snake wrapped itself around Marion Kuhn’s leg while she was walking along McDougall Street.
A brown snake wrapped itself around Marion Kuhn’s leg while she was walking along McDougall Street.

MARION Kuhn has undergone a series of experiences for the first time this week – her first ambulance trip, first overnight hospital stay and first bite by a brown snake.

Ms Kuhn was unfortunate enough to stumble across a brown snake while delivering pamphlets advertising her new business on Tuesday night.

“I have only been here in Warwick for eight weeks and it was my first mailbox delivery,” she said.

Ms Kuhn said she and her friend Tracy Clark and Tracy’s daughter Kayla were walking along McDougall Street when they decided to venture off the footpath and onto the road to avoid a patch of long grass.

“Kayla screamed and that’s when it wrapped around my leg,” she said.

“I remember hearing the word “snake” and I got the “heebie-jeebies” and I kind of kicked it off with my other foot.”

Ms Kuhn said she was initially unaware she had been bitten and said her foot only “felt hot” so she and Mrs Clark walked the two blocks back to her home.

“It was just a little bit red, but it wasn’t really sore at all,” she said.

Mrs Clark then called an ambulance and the officers bandaged Ms Kuhn’s leg and transported her to the Warwick Hospital.

Swab tests on her ankle taken at the hospital confirmed she had been bitten by a brown snake, and an overnight stay with hourly observations was ordered.

“In the morning they took some blood tests and my blood was thinner so I had to stay another night,” she said.

Ms Kuhn was told by the doctors there was a chance of the venom causing her kidneys to shut down and she said that was the moment when she realised her condition was serious.

“I just thought if anything was going to happen, that would be what would get me,” she said.

Ms Kuhn was required to stay in the hospital for two days and said having to have blood tests during that time was the most traumatic part.

“I passed out two times in hospital and once at Tracy’s house. But the nurses and doctors were really wonderful and they held my hand.”

Ms Kuhn said she was just grateful the snake bit her and not six-year-old Kayla.

“I just want to make people aware that they are out there and to just to be cautious,” Ms Kuhn said.




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

10 things to remember when you move out of a rental property

Here are some useful tips for people moving out of rental properties

Warwick vet pleads 'stop risking our lives'

IMMUNITY BOOST: Warwick vet Chris Reardon welcomed the extension of the hendra virus vaccine to 12 months after three doses following extensive lab testing (pictured with Member for Maranoa Bruce Scott).

Vets welcome hendra vaccine extension

Warwick bookworms mark Lifeline Bookfest as a must

Lifeline volunteers Melissa Parker and Veronica Betts browse through some of the books that will be sold at the Daily News Lifeline Warwick Bookfest this weekend.

Lifeline Bookfest coming to Warwick

Latest deals and offers


She’ll be apples in Stanthorpe as festival kicks off

Jonathan Apple, festival president John Thouard, former Young Ambassadors Miriam Spina and Taylah Wantling and Isabella Grape welcomed the start of the 2016 Festival.

It’s a great start for the 10 days of festival ahead'

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 5

Officers drag the woman back to her cell

In this video the woman drinks water from the toilet.

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 4

In this video the woman asks for water as the tap in the room is broken

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 3

In this video police continue their search and male officers are present despite...

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked

Caloundra’s former Centrepoint Buffet site up for sale

FOR SALE: The home of the old Centrepoint Buffet

Restaurant fined for unhygienic practices closed months ago