News

Cruel twist of fate as family loses home in devastating fire

CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire.
CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire. Samantha Oneil

THEY say lightning doesn't struck twice but for one Warwick family it has, with a devastating house fire following the tragic loss of their six-year-old daughter in January this year.

The family escaped unharmed but the home is unliveable because of major damage.

Ray White Rural Warwick principal Peter Lane confirmed the agency was negotiating alternative accommodation for the tenants.

A spokeswoman from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said the investigation had determined the fire was accidental.

"The fire was caused by a radio-controlled car battery that was charging in the garage," she said.

The extreme heat and water has damaged some of the tenants' property, with water also entering the two neighbouring homes.

A concerned resident said the family may be in need of assistance, with shopping vouchers being the most convenient to be used for the replacement of food, kitchen items and some clothes. "If everyone dropped in even a couple of dollars I'm sure it would help," the woman said.

Principal Peter Lane said they were happy to accept donations for the family.

"They are great people who have been going through the very expensive process of applying for permanent residency in Australia," property manager Andrew Dunn said.

Mr Dunn said the family's church had also been of great assistance to them.

Topics:  family, housefire, warwick




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Warwick gets ready for the big freeze

Trevor Wiseman braving the outdoor movies at Queens Park tonight, getting ready for the sub-zero temperatures coming up.

Time to rug up, Jack Frost is well and truly on his way

Cherrabah gives it both barrels over the weekend

Graeme Frankling at the Cherrabah SSAA field simulation clay target competition.

Cherrabah, a clay target's nightmare this weekend

Latest deals and offers


The best retro movies of the week? May 27 - June 3

Gregory Peck Photo Contributed

This week TV fan get to see Tom Cruise in a 1980s classics

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked