UPDATE: Kingsthorpe man Harry Lauryssens is proof they breed them tough in the country.
Mr Lauryssens, 55, described the feeling of being bitten by the world's second most venomous snake as "just a scratch".
He was bitten on the ankle by a 1.5metre eastern brown snake when he picked up a camping box in the yard of their property at 5pm on Tuesday.
Mr Lauryssens had painted the hinges of the black shiny box and left it in the yard for 10 minutes to dry.
He believes the snake had been striking at its own reflection on the box before he handled it.
"He was in mid-air when he hit me," Mr Lauryssens said.
"We get them (snakes) at home all the time but I've never seen one so savage."
He dropped the box and ran while the snake continued to strike at the box.
Mr Lauryssens wrapped his leg with a compression bandage.
His wife Jill took instructions from a 000 operator on how to apply a splint and a second bandage.
Mrs Lauryssens said she felt scared and panicked during the 20 minute wait for help to arrive.
Paramedics took her husband to the Toowoomba Hospital.
Doctors swabbed his ankle and the venom confirmed the single puncture wound was made by an eastern brown.
Blood tests showed the venom on his ankle had luckily not entered Mr Lauryssens' blood stream.
It was the first snake he had seen at his property since winter.
Mr Lauryssens was kept in hospital overnight for observation and was released.
UPDATE: A man, 55, is being released from hospital today after he was bitten by an eastern brown snake.
He was bitten on the ankle just after 5pm yesterday at a property on Kingsthorpe Haden Rd at Kingsthorpe.
The man was lucky the venom did not enter his blood.
Paramedics took him to the Toowoomba Hospital in a stable condition.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.