MORE than $56,000 has been spent in the past four months looking at what schools to close in Queensland.
The Newman government has narrowed it down to eight schools but a decision on their potential closure will not be known until early next month.
A consultancy firm is currently investigating whether to keep eight schools - including Toowoomba South, Charlton and Wyreema State Schools - open or close them down.
Mr Langbroek confirmed $56,165 had been spent on the process in the past four months.
He told a Parliamentary Estimates hearing the schools' viabilities were being assessed, including enrolment, student travelling distance to schools and subject choice, and the process would go on past his ministerial reign.
"The process will continue whether I am minister or someone else becomes the minister subsequently because it's the responsible thing to do when you have an $18 billion portfolio and you might look at a fraction of a percent of your portfolio," Mr Langbroek said on Tuesday.
"And it's an indictment on the former government...that they did not have the intestinal fortitude to put that process in place."
The Queensland Government last week backed down on a move to merge two Brisbane-based schools following strong community outcry.
The consultancy firm is expected to hand down their report by the end of the month.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.