News

Family grateful home survived fire

The fire started in the back corner of the shed and it took firefighters one and a half hours to extinguish it.
The fire started in the back corner of the shed and it took firefighters one and a half hours to extinguish it. Erin Smith

MUM-of-six and dedicated community fundraiser Bec Munro is looking to the future and desperately trying to find a silver lining after fire engulfed her family shed on Wednesday afternoon.

"I emptied the ash box from the fireplace onto the compost heap," the Glennie Heights resident explained.

"I normally empty them in a bucket and leave them there for a few days, but my mind was on 150 other things and for some stupid reason I emptied them straight on the compost heap.

"They started smoking so I hosed them for about half an hour and made sure there was no more smoke.

"Then I went to pick the kids up from school and on the way home the police called and told me my (shed) was on fire."

The former Leukaemia Foundation ambassador quest entrant said she couldn't believe the house survived.

"It came so close," she said.

"I want to say thank you to whoever rang the firefighters.

"I think someone even tried to start hosing the shed down because the hose was out."

There were many irreplaceable items among the rubble.

"I'd put all my photos and kids' artwork in there; it was a storage area," Ms Munro said.

"I thought it would be safer than keeping it in the house.

"It's all stuff you can't replace."

The shed was used as a play area for her six children and among the destroyed items were a PlayStation, Wii, bikes, skateboards and a plasma TV.

Ms Munro said her husband's tools were also melted along with all their camping gear.

"Not everything was destroyed," she said.

"My spinning wheel survived which made my grandma happy," she said.

A cupboard that has been in the family for decades also fortunately survived.

"This cupboard was made by my grandfather for his daughter," she said.

"She then gave it to her daughter but it was then given to me."

The Munros are renting the five-bedroom house on Fairway Dr and had not been able to afford renewing their contents insurance when it expired in June.

Mrs Munro said her kids were coping fairly well but the youngest child Bella was pretty upset on Wednesday.

"I told her everything was going to be OK and that she didn't need to cry because everyone was safe," she said.

"But she said 'I can't play in the shed anymore mummy,' and it made me laugh.

"I feel sorry for my 18-year-old Tamika though.

"She is planning on moving out and had just purchased tea towels, cutlery, glasses, plates and everything you need to move out.

"It was all in the shed."

Despite losing most of her prized possessions the Big W employee is trying to stay positive.

"I have my house and my family and that is all that matters," she said.

"We can easily make new memories."


Local Real Estate

finda logo
Featured Real Estate
Stanthorpe prime... $190,000
Residential Land 0 0
Domaine on Dragon with... $239,000
Unit 2 2 1
Walk to CBD-Include... $219,000
Unit 2 1 1
Ideal Investment or... $159,000
House 3 1 1

Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.


Marketplace

Special Offers & Promotions

Compare & Save