News

Housing minister defends decision to sell off Lazy Acres

Housing Minister Bruce Flegg is standing by the decision to sell off Lazy Acres caravan park, despite public outcry.
Housing Minister Bruce Flegg is standing by the decision to sell off Lazy Acres caravan park, despite public outcry. Peter Chapman

QUEENSLAND'S housing boss has used an estimates hearing to defend selling off the Lazy Acres Caravan Park.

Public Works and Housing Minister Bruce Flegg announced earlier this year that the Lazy Acres and two other facilities would be sold to ease the social housing shortage.

The government says money used will be redirected to a housing fund to create much-needed state accommodation and reduce the public housing 30,000-plus waiting list.

But the move attracted vast controversy from local communities, including Hervey Bay.

Dr Flegg used an Estimates Committee hearing to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sale.

He said the former government spent $1.1 million to put in place an "artificial arrangement" so the parks did not appear to be state government owned.

"...so people can have an eligibility for Commonwealth rent assistance," he said.

"In private hands they will be profitable so those arrangements would not be necessary. "

Dr Flegg said the sites were not suitable for redevelopment anyway as the parks were either outside the urban footprint or not a "prime development site".

"I see very little prospect there will be change that affects those tenants," he said.

But in the case there was change, Dr Flegg said he would ensure each individual tenant was supported.

Dr Flegg was unclear on the exact circumstances of the letter delivery but said he would ask questions to his department about how it went down.

"I know it had to be done in some haste before the matter became a media matter."

According to departmental annual reports, Lazy Acres Caravan Park ran at a loss of $226,000 last financial year, worse than the $199,000 loss it returned the previous year. In the 2008-2009 financial year, the caravan park returned a $37,000 profit.

Topics:  lazy acres, sell-off, state government




Boy charged after alleged armed robbery attempt in Warwick

Police have charged a boy over the alleged incident on Thursday night.

Thirteen-year-old charged after armed robbery attempt in Warwick

Two motocross bikes allegedly stolen at major event

Queensland Police are assisting with inquiries

Two bikes allegedly stolen from motocross riding complex

Latest deals and offers

Drowning Pool gig review at Max Watt's

Drowning Pool played Brisbane with A Breach of Silence and She Cries Wolf at the Max Watt's House of Music.

Drowning Pool prove that 'bodies' hit the floor when they play

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles