WITH food allergies on the rise Warwick mother Leisa Nowlan said she was glad her 16-month-old daughter's allergy was not fatal.
"It was just before Christmas last year," Mrs Nowlan said.
"My husband had a piece of bread with egg on it.
"He took the egg off and gave it to Madison.
"She instantly broke out in a rash, hives and started vomiting."
Mrs Nowlan said she took Madison to a paediatric allergist in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and discovered she was also allergic to cashews and pistachios.
"It is easy when they are this age," she said.
"She doesn't need to eat cakes and slices but as she gets older it will be harder."
Mrs Nowlan said she had to be vigilant.
"Within seconds of it touching her tongue she is vomiting and has hives," she said.
"I have to check labels, and not purchase products with egg in it and make sure she doesn't get it, which is hard as she has two sharing siblings."
Warwick Go Vita Naturopath Nadia Shaw said it was alarming how big the problem was.
"It doesn't just affect one person," she said.
"It impacts the children in the classes to."
In order to prevent children with severe allergies suffering a reaction at school Education Queensland tries to prevent possible exposure by encouraging kids to wash their hands after eating and banning certain food items from school lunch boxes.
Mrs Shaw said the prevention methods were common in daycares and primary schools but tended to ease by high school.
"I don't think we will see food items banned in the adult workplace," she said.
"People can be made aware but I don't think you can ban them from bringing items in."
Mrs Nowlan said it was important for parents to be aware of other children's allergies at play dates and parties.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.