SPECULATION about the future of the Killarney Abattoir has reignited over the past week, after residents witnessed equipment being moved off the site.
Colliers International director Phil Schell listed the property at the end of last year and said his hopes for an imminent transaction were dashed recently after an offer fell through.
The site has lain dormant since the shock announcement the gates were closing in February last year.
Mr Schell said the situation was now “back in limbo” and indicated the vendor may be looking at pulling the property into pieces.
And it appears that just might be the case, with residents fearful emptying the property was an indicator the town would finally see “the end of an era”.
One local – who chose not to be identified – said the activity began last week and was still continuing as off yesterday.
“A fella who sells second-hand equipment has been taking it out and is going to scrap it for what he can get,” the Killarney resident said.
There have been unconfirmed reports of offers up to the $1.3 million mark being rejected in hopes of reaching a $2 million sale.
The Killarney resident said he could not understand that if it were the case, he was dumbfounded the chance to settle debts with creditors was not being snapped up.
“If that was you or me, the bank would take what they could get for it.
"I can't understand it.”
The man added he feared scrapping equipment would return just a meagre portion of what could be recovered by selling the abattoir whole.
Pittsworth Abattoir shut down at the same time last year, although it re-opened in August.
Sadly, the triumph was short-lived and on April 8 this year the site was permanently closed.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.