News

Bruce Hwy action plan leaves Rocky on road to ruin

Trucks finally roll into Rockhampton from the South after the Bruce Highway was reopened after two weeks once flood waters receded. Photo Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin ROK140111-truck-c2
Trucks finally roll into Rockhampton from the South after the Bruce Highway was reopened after two weeks once flood waters receded. Photo Chris Ison / The Morning Bulletin ROK140111-truck-c2 Chris Ison

ROCKHAMPTON remains on the bottom rung of the ladder of priorities in fixing the Bruce Hwy.

The LNP State Government yesterday released its 10-year Bruce Hwy Crisis Action Plan titled Out of the Crisis, calling on the Federal Government to allocate more funding.

It was hoped by many that there would be higher prioritisation for regional areas, but in comparison to the former Labor State Government's plan released in December, 2011, not much has changed.

The difference between the LNP plan and the Labor plan is the LNP put dollar figures next to projects and added another layer of prioritisation.

Member for Capricornia Kirsten Livermore said the plan was nothing more than a rehash of the Labor plan, listing much-needed projects for the Rockhampton region at the bottom of the rung.

"It's an amateurish political stunt," she said.

Rockhampton State MP Bill Byrne backed Ms Livermore's comment by saying the State Government was using the agenda as a 'smoke screen' to do nothing.

"They are not doing anything pragmatic in real terms to address the issues," Mr Byrne said.

"It's just spin with no intention of delivering anything."

Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney, when releasing the plan, said it included projects already committed over the next 10 years under base funding arrangements, plus additional projects that are needed to repair, improve and flood-proof the Bruce Hwy.

"The Bruce Hwy is Queensland's 1677km backbone, playing a significant role in building a four-pillar economy by moving people and freight across the State," he said.

"The Newman government will honour its election commitment and contribute an additional $1 billion over the next 10 years, if the Federal Government also brings forward its funding."

However, Mr Byrne hit out at Mr Seeney's comment, saying the State Government was only looking at spending 1% of its promised $1 billion in the first year, according to budget papers.

"Queenslanders would have thought it would be more in the vicinity of $100 million in the first financial year," Mr Byrne said.

Federal Transport and Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the Federal Government had already invested twice as much in the Bruce Hwy as the former Federal Government.

"The Federal Government has significantly increased funding to an unprecedented $2.8 billion over six years," he said.

"To put that into perspective, the former Howard government put in just $1.3 billion over 12 years."

Mr Albanese said the plan would be given consideration as negotiations continue with the State Government over the next five-year Nation Building Program scheduled to begin in mid-2014.

What's in it for CQ?

Mackay to Rockhampton

Mackay Northern Access Upgrade (capacity, safety)

Mackay Intersection Upgrades - Stage 2 (capacity, safety)

Sarina Northern Access Upgrade (capacity, safety)

Duplication of Mackay to Sarina not expected to be funded (capacity, safety)

Rockhampton to Gympie

Yeppen floodplain south upgrade (flooding)

Rockhampton North Access Upgrade - Stage 1 (capacity, safety)

Childers Bypass Construction works not listed

Topics:  bruce highway




Man tries to fight patrons, then a wooden bench

Watchhouse bench faces wrath of arrested patron

Southern Downs man to face court after noisy arrest

Police arrest man after noise complaint deteriorates

Legless eleven busted by Southern Downs police

Ipswich traffic police conduct random breath and drug tests on Kruger Parade on Thursday, May 2. Photo: Claudia Baxter / The Queensland Times

Police blitz nets eleven drivers across the Southern Downs

Latest deals and offers

Bindi's boyfriend helps release huge croc

Chandler (far right) helped the jump team.

Chandler Powell helps catch Duncan the croc

Mick Jagger to pay £2.5m to the woman carrying his baby

Mick Jagger is reportedly paying millions to pregnant ballerina

Navy man Keller ready to marry a perfect stranger

Former Navy engineer Keller is a participant in season three of Married At First Sight.

Tattoos are just the surface of Married At First Sight groom.

Ozzy cheated with 5 women in 5 countries: Sharon

Sharon Osbourne claims her husband Ozzy has cheated on her

The Big Music Quiz gives The Block a run for its money

Darren McMullen hosts the TV series The Big Music Quiz.

NEW challenger in TV ratings race shakes up Sunday night.

Britney Spears calls Carpool Karaoke appearance "awkward"

Britney Spears admits her Carpool Karaoke segment was "awkward"

REVEALED: Pat Rafter's $18m Coast house on the market

Check out the photos of the Coast's most expensive property for sale

The "correction we had to have" in Gladstone's rentals

UPWARD MARCH: The rental vacancy rate in Gladstone has improved for the first time in more than a year, providing a confidence boost in the market.

Vacancy rates improve with signs that things are getting betterF

ISLAND FOR SALE: Cheap Fraser Coast island drops price again

Suna Island in the Great Sandy Strait will be auctioned by Ray White Hervey Bay on Saturday morning.

This is the cheapest island you will find for sale in Australia

How a family home can fit on a 250sq m block

This is what you can build on 250m2.

Here's the floor plan of a home built on 250sq m

$100m plan for Curtis Island 'world class' luxury resort

$100 million resort: Top views at Turtle Street at Curtis Island.

"At the moment we think it meets all the town planning approvals.”

Noosa mayor on "red alert" over planning court decision

Mayor Tony Wellington hands down his first budget.

Mayor upset at lack of say about look and feel of Noosa