Lifestyle

Meeting on the job was hard work

Darryl Evans and partner Nicola Beggs met at work and now have a beautiful baby girl, Bridgit Annette.
Darryl Evans and partner Nicola Beggs met at work and now have a beautiful baby girl, Bridgit Annette. Georja Ryan

A FLIRTY wink by the photocopier or sneaky kiss in the storeroom has long been regarded as inappropriate, but with one in four people meeting their partner at work, it seems to be the done thing.

Warwick couple Darryl Evans and Nicola Beggs spent years working together before pairing up and Ms Beggs said she saw it as a sign of the times.

"I think with the amount of time people spend at work these days, there isn't too many opportunities to meet people outside of work," she said.

The pair met when working for Ray White Real Estate and moved to various other businesses as a team.

"We just got on really well; I don't think we ever looked at each other as partners, it just happened," Mr Evans said.

But Sandy Klaus and Joanne Taylor, both Warwick marriage celebrants, agreed next to none of their clients had met through work and despite this case in point, thought Warwick was bucking the trend.

"I think I've only had one (couple) who met at work," Mrs Klaus said.

"I think because of all the workplace harassment rules in place these days, people shy away."

Mrs Taylor said about 80% of her clients had met online, and the other 20% at social events - but none at work.

If you have a quirky story on how you met your partner, drop us an email at georja.ryan@warwickdailynews.com.au.

 

Workplace Relationship Dos and Don'ts

Don't: Bed your boss - rule of thumb.

Do: Play it cool - not everyone enjoys PDA.

Don't: Neglect your work or allow yourself to become distracted.

Do: Keep it clean - no one wants to see a lipstick-stained collar.

Don't: Play favourites.

Topics:  dating, lifestyle, love, relationships, work




Crowds gather for Jumpers and Jazz Festival

QUICK YARN: Sue Jacobsen, Karina Devine and Loretta Grayson take five minutes out of their hectic Jumpers and Jazz schedule for a chat.

There is still plenty to do for the remainder of the festival

Man injured in bike accident on property east of Warwick

Ambulance generic

Motor bike rider sustains injury in accident on property

WATCH: Killarney Bonfire Night fires up

The bonfire at Killarney Bonfire Night

Let me stand next to your fire - Killarney Bonfire Night

Latest deals and offers


Get out this weekend on a budget

Tree jumper artwork

Here is your go to guide for getting out this weekend on a budget

Reno stars want tradies to focus a little more on one thing

The Demmrichs want Tradies to look after their most important tool

Day 2 Splendour Pictures

Sticky Fingers perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Splendour in the Grass Day 2 covered in pictures.

WATCH: News reader tries her hand at hardcore shooter, Doom

Veteran journo and noob gamer takes a shot at Doom

What's on the small screen this week

MasterChef Australia's final four contestants, from left, Harry Foster, Elena Duggan, Elise Franciskovic and Matt Sinclair.

MASTERCHEF makes way for The Bachelor on Ten's reality TV slate.

Guy Sebastian a hit at Splendour in the Grass

Guy Sebastian performs at Splendour in the Grass with Paces.

REALITY TV judge a hit with festival crowd.

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles