News

Nuclear response to waste dump proposal in tiny Qld town

A MAYOR kept in the dark, an MP with half the facts and a community thrust into the national spotlight. It sounds like the plot of a Hollywood movie, but for the tiny town of Oman-ama, west of Warwick, it's becoming a reality.

Oman-ama is one of six sites in Australia that could become a nuclear waste dump, according to a Federal Government proposal.

The proposal has cast a national spotlight on the region, with mixed views about whether the Southern Downs is the right place for the nation's nuclear waste.
 

READ MORE

There will be 100 days of community consultation before the Federal Government makes a decision on which of the six sites will be chosen.

The community that accepts the waste will receive $10 million.

In a bizarre twist to the tale, Goondiwindi Mayor Graeme Scheu said he had been given no warning from the Federal Government.

"I had no idea it was progressing - I didn't even know they were looking in Australia let alone in our area - it was a bit of a shock," he said.

"You can't just make hasty decisions on no information, there are months of community consultation ahead of us."

Cr Scheu has concerns about how waste would be transported and its effect on Coolmunda Dam.

The mayor wasn't the only politician kept in the dark on the proposal.

Southern Downs MP Lawrence Springborg said he wouldn't have a problem with a low-level nuclear waste dump.

Mr Springborg is calling for more facts so the community can make an informed decision.

"Some of the material that I have seen suggests it'll be low-level medical waste that's from medical procedures used to save people's lives," he said.

The Member for Southern Downs owns a property at Yelarbon, about 40 minutes for Oman-ama.

When asked if he'd be happy to have the waste in his own backyard, Mr Springborg said it was difficult to say.

"If it's low-level medical waste then I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but others might not," he said.
 

Similar views were shared by LNP Maranoa candidate David Littleproud, who is keeping an open mind on the issue.

"I'm still in discovery phase - if it's low-grade nuclear waste then I want to get more facts how it's stored, the mode of transport, and the risks to the land," he said.

"The important thing here is that we're in a consultation phase - we need to get the facts to have an informed debate."

Not everyone is supportive of the idea.

Queensland senate hopeful Belinda Marriage has described the proposal an attack on local farmers.

"The Oman-ama area is a rich agricultural area - growing fine wool, prime lambs, goats, and cattle, as well as having cereal crops and olives groves," she said. "There is no room for toxic waste to be dumped into such an important area."

The Karara sheep farmer said the Southern Downs has had enough environmental disasters.

"Not now and not ever should nuclear waste material be brought into our rich agricultural and prime produce region," she said.

The proposal has also been slammed by the Australian Nuclear Free Zones organisation.

Secretary Paul Tully said the plans put southern Queensland at risk, with hundreds of trucks carting dangerous radioactive waste through the region.

Sarah Moles from the Southern Downs Protection Group also had concerns.

"It's really hard to know - we don't know the volume of waste, we don't know how they're preparing to store it," she said.

The Daily News phoned Southern Downs Mayor Peter Blundell for comment on the controversial plan but no response was received.

Topics:  editors picks, nuclear waste, nuclear waste dump, oman ama, uranium, uranium mining




New cafe, fast food outlet for Warwick?

NEW SHOPS: The block on the corner of Albion and Fitzroy Sts is about to get a makeover.

Food and drink outlet and offices for prime Warwick block

One injured after Ballandean paddock fire

Emergency services attended a paddock fire in Ballandean on Thursday afternoon.

One person treated after paddock fire in Ballandean

'Dramatic scenes': Woman had a hand in hotel lockdown, police say

LOCKDOWN: These dramatic scenes unfolded on Palmerin St in June.

Man allegedly behind The Criterion Hotel lockdown heard in court.

Latest deals and offers

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

Joe Jonas' 'tough' pals

Joe Jonas' pals are 'tough' with his potential partners

The Bachelor wash up: bacon, plank offs and that white rose

Richie Strahan, second from left, with bachelorettes Eliza, Faith, Noni and Janey in a scene from episode one of the fourth season of The Bachelor.

RICHIE Strahan meets some beautiful, and colourful, bachelorettes.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles