WHAT started as a search for a snack quickly turned into the rescue of a snake for local character Ranald McAvley.
"I was going to Clifton to get a chocolate when I saw a tin waving and floating on the road," Ranald said.
"I thought 'that's funny, I will pull over and check it out'."
After investigating further Ranald discovered his 'floating tin' was actually a snake with its head caught in a can.
"I poked it first and it moved toward me," he said.
"It looks like someone threw it out and the snake came along and - bop - got his head stuck."
Not to be deterred by the possibility of a snake bite Ranald jumped into action by calling the RSPCA.
"I guess I got a little bit game because he was so cold and didn't move as fast," he said.
Holding the back of the snake's head Ranald cut the can open with a pair of pliers and then let it free.
"There was a cigarette butt in the bottom of the can, so I reckon when the snake bumped it he heard something move inside and thought it was something to eat," he speculated.
"I let him go on the side of the road and got my chocolate in the end to celebrate," Ranald laughed.
If you see a snake in your garden or house, do not try to catch or kill the snake.
Walk away from it slowly and keep an eye on it from a safe distance (several metres away).
Usually they move away in their own time, however if the snake has decided to stay around call National Parks and Wildlife office for advice or local snake catcher Lyn Gynther on 4664 8476.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.