GRANITE Belt wool grower Peter Reimers savoured success at Stanthorpe Show, winning the coveted champion district fleece in an event which attracted the best fine wool fleeces from the Southern Downs.
Wool steward Colin Chapman said entries were strong yet again this year with good support from local growers as well as producers from the length of the New England.
"Stanthorpe Show is well known for the quality of fleece entries and this was definitely on a par with previous competitions," he explained.
"We have a lot of support from locals and our region is well known for producing quality fine wool."
Mr Reimers won the local title with a merino ewe fleece.
While Texas wool growers Geoff and Andrea Fearby also notched up class wins in the ultra fine and super fine categories before going onto win the overall best ultrafine/superfine fleece.
Gore's Sandy Smith, who is no stranger to the winner's podium, also scored well this year winning the Traprock Group award for the highest scoring fleece marketed under the Traprock Wool brand.
The 2013 winner of the grand champion fleece of the show went to Alfoxton Merino Stud, a southern stud which also claimed the reserve grand champion title.
For southern visitor Neil Dight, who is a New England wool classer and steward at Tenterfield's Show this weekend, the calibre of the entries was "exceptional".
"The quality is impressive," he said handling Peter Reimers' award-winning fleece.
"The crimp goes right to the tip, the wool is lovely and bright and clean and soft.
"These fleeces are an example of beautiful wool and Stanthorpe's a very competitive show, it would have been a challenge for the judge."
Yet he added cheekily for those really interested in fine wool Tenterfield Show provided an equal spectacle.
The Tenterfield Show will start on Friday.
Best hogget's fleece - G and C Smith.
- Champion district fleece - P Reimers.
- Best ultrafine/super fine fleece - G and A Fearby.
- Best fine fleece - S Smith.
- Best medium/strong fleece - A and H Ferrier.
- Best coated fleece - S Thomas.
- Highest value fleece - S and S Smith.
- Champion restricted fleece - G and A Fearby.
- Reserve champion - S and S Smith.
- Champion three matching fleeces - S Reid.
- Most successful exhibitor - S Reid.
- Best ram's fleece - Maisters Swamp.
- Grand champion fleece - Alfoxton Merino Stud.
- Reserve champion - Alfoxton Merino Stud.
Traprock Group - S and S Smith.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.