News

Family's bitter dispute leaves young mum's body in limbo

The Killarney community is rallying behind a local family after the sudden death of 27-year-old mother of five Bellita Sailor on Friday.
The Killarney community is rallying behind a local family after the sudden death of 27-year-old mother of five Bellita Sailor on Friday.

MORE than a month after her death, the body of Killarney woman Bellita Sailor remains in a morgue, as her former partner and family wage battle in a bitter family dispute.

The young mother, who leaves behind five children under 10, died suddenly on December 18.

News of the 27-year-old's death last month sent shockwaves through the Killarney and wider communities, with many rallying around the young family with toys, clothing and even swimming lessons for the children.

A gofundme page was also set up, with a reported $7000 being raised.

Bellita's sister Flo Sailor said until last week her family was under the assumption Bellita's partner, Jezsryn Masaberg would use those funds to pay for Bellita's funeral.

Mr Masaberg yesterday told the Daily News a different version of events, saying he and Bellita were not a couple at the time of her death and had simply been "co-parenting" for the past five years.

Flo Sailor said her family was struggling to deal with her sister's death and the added pressures of suddenly being forced to fund the funeral.

"It is so hard and stressful knowing my sister has been lying in a morgue for four weeks and four days," she said.

"We are just so stressed, it just keeps coming at me - every single day it's something new.

"We are trying our hardest getting the ball rolling because we don't want her in there any longer; she needs to be put to rest."

Bellita's younger sister said her family learnt last week Mr Masaberg was passing over funeral rights to her mother, Delveen.

"This was handed over to us on Thursday," she said.

"We are trying our best now but no one has any more money - I know people who have put their last cent into that gofundme account."

Since taking over funeral plans, the family has tried many different government avenues to obtain help with funeral costs but has not had any luck.

Mr Masaberg has denied any wrongdoing in terms of the money raised through the gofundme page and said there was never any commitment to use it for Bellita's funeral.

"It was written all over that page that the money was the financial aid and assistance of her children. It didn't mention anything about being for the funeral," he said.

"Every cent is going to my children."

Mr Masaberg said all but a few hundred dollars he spent on clothes for his children had been placed in a trust account for them.

Despite everything, Mr Masaberg said his children were happy and he was grateful to everyone who had helped the family.

"It has helped more than anyone would understand," he said.

"Thank you to everyone that has helped because my children have had a life since this has happened.

"To pack up and leave with a bag of clothes is hard - we had to leave everything behind.

"I know how it looks; ungrateful, greedy and selfish but my kids come first - their needs come before anything else in the world."

He confirmed he had moved away from the Killarney area and said doing so was in the best interests of his young children.

Bellita's family has started a new fundraising account to try to generate funds for the funeral.

Flo Sailor said the family wanted to get Bellita's body to the Gold Coast so she could be put to rest with her younger brother, Tommy, who died seven years ago.

Mr Masaberg yesterday told the Daily News he was waiting on a superannuation release, which he would ensure goes to the Warwick funeral home.

He added although he hoped the mother of his children was given a proper farewell soon, neither he nor his children would attend.

"We have had our private goodbyes - just like Bellita's family has," he said.

An autopsy has been carried out but neither Mr Masaberg nor Flo Sailor know the cause of death.

Topics:  bellita sailor, editors picks, funeral, gofundme, killarney, sudden death




Teenager trapped in ute rollover south of Warwick

Emergency services were called about 9.30am.

UPDATE: Emergency crews are at the scene of a rollover.

Taxi driver injured after knifepoint robbery

DRIVER ATTACKED: Warwick taxi rank, where a driver picked up a teenager who held him up at knifepoint on Thursday night.

Camera footage will be the key to arresting an armed robber

Latest deals and offers

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Police foiled terrifying 1m plot to kidnap Katie Price

Police foiled a £1 million plot to kidnap Katie Price and her family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles