An RAAF Avro Lincoln bomber dropping 500lb (220kg) bombs onto communist terrorist targets in the Malayan jungle in 1950.
An RAAF Avro Lincoln bomber dropping 500lb (220kg) bombs onto communist terrorist targets in the Malayan jungle in 1950.

50 years since Malayan Emergency

JULY 31 this year will mark the 50th anniversary of the end of the Malayan Emergency where 39 Australian servicemen were killed and a further 27 wounded.

Starting so soon after World War II and with Australian ground troops only committed after the Korean War had reached an armistice; the Malayan Emergency is one of Australia’s least known or discussed wars.

The Malayan Emergency was declared on June 18, 1948, after three estate managers were murdered inPerak, northern Malaya.

The men were murdered by guerrillas of the Malayan Communist Party (MCP), an outgrowth of the anti-Japanese guerrilla movement which had emerged during World War II.

Despite never having had more than a few thousand members, the MCP was able to draw on the support of many disaffected Malayan Chinese, who were upset that British promises of an easier path to full Malayan citizenship had not been fulfilled.

The harsh post-war economic and social conditions also contributed to the rise of anti-government activity.

The Malayan government was slow to react to the MCP at first and did not appoint a director of operations to counter the insurgency until March 1950.

The new director planned to address the underlying economic, social, and political problems facing the Chinese community while, at the same time, bringing government control to the fringe areas where the MCP received much of its support.

Before this plan was fully implemented, however, the situation deteriorated further with the assassination of the British High Commissioner in October 1951.

The attack galvanised British resolve to meet the threat posed by the MCP; the Malayan government, in turn, stepped up counter-insurgency measures.

Prolonged operations were undertaken against the communists in an effort to destroy their base of support in local communities and to drive them into the jungle, where it would be difficult for them to receive supplies from supporters.

Australia’s involvement in the emergency began in 1950 with the arrival of RAAF aircraft and personnel in Singapore.

Dakotas from 38 Squadron were deployed on cargo runs, troop movements, and paratroop and leaflet drops in Malaya, while six Lincoln bombers of 1 Squadron provided the backbone of air operations.

As the capacity of army and police units operating against the communists improved, however, the need for air power decreased, and by 1952 Lincolns were increasingly used as part of combined air-ground assaults against the communists.

By October 1955, when the 2nd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (2RAR), arrived in Penang, the outcome of the Emergency was no longer in doubt, although a lengthy “mopping up” stage followed, largely undertaken by Australian troops.

After several false starts, 2RAR crossed to the mainland in January 1956 to begin anti-communist operations. Over the next 20 months, as part of 28 Commonwealth Brigade, 2RAR participated in a variety of operations, mainly in Perak, one of the main areas of communistactivity.

Their work consisted of extensive patrolling, watching for contacts in the rubber plantations and mounting a perimeter guard on the New Villages, settlements which the government had established to provide infrastructure and services in outlying areas in the hope of denying the guerrillas access to their support base. Contacts were rare, however, and the battalion had a mixed record, killing two communists in an ambush on June 25, 1956, but losing three of its own troops.

2RAR left Malaya in October 1957 and was replaced by 3RAR in the same month.

After six weeks of training in jungle warfare 3RAR began driving the insurgents into the jungle in Perak and Kedah, separating them from food and other supplies.

Early successes for the battalion confirmed the growing ascendancy of the security forces over the communists, and by April 1959 one of the main communist centres, Perak, was declared secure.

By late 1959 operations against the communists were in their final phase and many communists had crossed Malaya’s northern border into Thailand.

3RAR left Malaya in October 1959 to be replaced by 1RAR. Although operating in the border region, 1RAR made no contact with the enemy and was forbidden to move into Thailand, even when the presence and location of communists was known.

As the threat continued to dissipate, the Malayan government officially declared the Emergency over on 31 July 1960, though 1RAR remained in Malaya until October the following year, when 2RAR returned for a second tour. In August 1962 the battalion was committed to anti-communist operations in Perlis and Kedah, completing its tour inAugust 1963.

In addition to air and infantry forces, Australia also provided artillery and engineering support and an airfield construction squadron built the main runway for the air force base at Butterworth. RAN ships also served in Malayan waters and had occasion to fire on suspected communist positions in 1956 and 1957.

Australian ground forces in Malaya formed part of Australia’s contribution to the Far East Strategic Reserve, which was set up in April 1955 primarily to deter external communist aggression against countries in south-east Asia, especially Malaya and Singapore.

Lasting 13 years, the Malayan Emergency was the longest continuous military commitment in Australia’s history. Thirty-nine Australian servicemen were killed in Malaya, although only 15 of these deaths occurred as a result of operations, and 27 were wounded, most of whom were in thearmy.

Generosity flows from local clubs in Warwick drought appeal

Generosity flows from local clubs in Warwick drought appeal

Local clubs raise thousands to help drought-affected friends.

Broken leg inspires mum to start own creative business

premium_icon Broken leg inspires mum to start own creative business

Falling off a ramp left her bed bound and wondering how to stay busy

Amazing bubble man to wow Warwick children these holidays

premium_icon Amazing bubble man to wow Warwick children these holidays

He's performed at schools and festivals, now he's coming to our town

Local Partners