83yo man bitten by tiger snake in retirement village
A RETIREE was bitten by a tiger snake at the back of his unit at a Hervey Bay retirement complex earlier this month.
Michael Neumann, 83, resides in Fraser Shores.
He was outside when he spotted the snake lurking.
"It was a baby tiger snake, about 15 inches long," Mr Neumann said.
Because it was a baby snake, Mr Neumann instinctively went to pick up the snake by the head to throw it over the fence, which contained bushland.
"When I grabbed it, I probably didn't grab it high enough because the snake turned its head and bit me," Mr Neumann said.
With a scar on his hand, Mr Neumann proceeded to Hervey Bay Hospital where he spent the night.
"I didn't actually feel any symptoms," he said.
"The snake bit me but must have not injected any actual venom.
"I went to the hospital as a precaution."
A week-and-a-half on from the incident, Mr Neumann said he was feeling well but won't be grabbing snake heads again.