Menu
News

Aussies should abandon any plans to visit southern Beirut

AUSSIES planning a trip to the Middle East right now should abandon any plans to visit southern Beirut after a car bombing killed 20 at the weekend.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr upgraded the government's travel advice after a series of similar bombings in recent months.

Mr Carr said an earlier car bomb attack on July 9 and a rocket attack in late May was "barbaric".

He said due to a "risk of further attacks, Australians are advised not to travel" to the Lebanon capital's southern suburbs.

Those already there should also consider leaving, and any Australians in Lebanon currently were asked to register with the Australian Embassy.

The travel warnings also came after similar warnings last week for tourists in Cairo, Egypt, as the death toll there continues to rise.

Topics:  bob carr dfat



Wild party leads to five charges

Police have charged three people.

Two charged with drink driving

Run 5km, come out looking like a rainbow

WATCH OUT: Runners get splashed with different colours along the five kilometre course.

Warwick Showgirl entrant organises quirky fitness event

Calls to ditch ‘rain’ from weather forecasts

The Lee family including dad Simon and mum Jodie with kids James, 11, Abbey, 10, Heidi, 9, and Ethan, 6, from Tweed Heads. Picture: Adam Head

Queensland Tourism Industry Council asks BoM for ‘sunnier disposition’

Local Partners