Fires not be lit without a permit
OUR firefighters want to get through the hazard season with only limited damage, calling for even small fires to not be lit without a permit.
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) have declared the fire danger period from midnight August 29, 2010 to January 2, 2011.
Deputy Group Officer for Warwick Mal Stacey said it was a great initiative that gave fire wardens more control in bushfire season.
“If they have control over who lights fires then we will have control over the amount of fires we have,” he said.
He said the only exceptions would be primary producers burning carcases or some industries, like saw mills for burning waste.
Previously people were able to light fires which were smaller than two metres in height and width without a permit, however Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said small fires were found to be a significant cause of wildfires last season.
Mr Stacey said even with a permit people had to be cautious and follow all the conditions after the massive wildfire season last year.
QFRS Rural Operations superintendent Wayne Waltisbuhl said it was a way to minimise the amount of fires being lit and to get people to think about another option.
“A lot of fires are rubbish fires and could get taken to the dump,” he said. “It’s another supporting mechanism to make it safer.”
The declaration of a Fire Danger Period requires anyone wanting to light a small fire to obtain a permit from their local fire warden.
For details on your local fire warden visit www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or contact the Toowoomba office on 4614 2835.