Rider badly injured after crash

A SERIOUS collision between a motorcycle and a car yesterday morning put a dampener on celebrations marking the 100-year anniversary of the first AJS Motorcycles.

A 58-year-old New Zealand man who was participating in the rally was flown to hospital in Brisbane by the RACQ CareFlight helicopter after the accident at Ellangowan, near Clifton.

Rally organiser John Wellings yesterday told the Daily News the incident had rocked the celebrations.

He said there would be a show of hands at a dinner last night to determine whether the event would continue.

“A group of us are still having a meal at the football club (last night) but it’s a fairly sombre atmosphere,” he said.

Mr Wellings heaped praise on Justin Stevens, a direct descendant of AJS Motorcycles founder Joseph Stevens, who took control of the situation yesterday morning and helped the rider.

“Justin Stevens is an officer in the airforce and he took charge of the accident and was an absolute gem, he made sure there were no other bad injuries,” he said.

Clifton Police officer-in-charge Sergeant Guy Smidt said initial investigations showed the New Zealand man failed to negotiate a corner appropriately, causing the bike to lose traction, sending it flying into the path of an oncoming Holden sedan.

The man was riding an historical motorcycle.

He suffered chest injuries and a serious compound fracture on his left leg and was also treated for suspected spinal injuries when the RACQ CareFlight helicopter arrived.

Sgt Smidt said the incident happened at the corner of the Clifton-Leyburn Road and O’Leary Road and the Clifton-Leyburn Road was closed about midday to allow the rescue helicopter to land.

“Basically he was on a vintage motorcycle and has negotiated a corner, hit the uneven road surface and bounced across and into the path of an oncoming vehicle,” he said.

Sgt Smidt said the incident happened about 11.15am and investigations were continuing.

He said people needed to exercise caution when travelling on country roads in the district.

“We emphasise the fact that when tourists are visiting country roads they need to take extreme caution,” Sgt Smidt said.

The man was the tail rider in a group of three.

A Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) spokesman said crews from Warwick, Toowoomba and Clifton attended the accident however he said the army medic was on the scene first.

The spokesman said the man’s femur had broken so severely it had pierced the skin.

He said the rescue helicopter arrived on scene about 12.10pm, before departing about 12.55pm.

An RACQ CareFlight spokesman said the man was flown to Princess Alexandra Hospital.

The accident contributed to what was a busy weekend for the rescue helicopter service

On Saturday a 55-year-old woman hiking on Mount Barney, in the border ranges, had to be flown to hospital on the Gold Coast after she fell backwards about 10 metres and hit her head.

Rural Fire Service Queensland and QAS officers hiked to where the woman was and carried her out of the thick scrub, before taking her to the Rathdowney Showgrounds where she was transferred to the RACQ CareFlight helicopter.

She was in a stable condition when taken to the Gold Coast Hospital.

Path to open the Condamine River to people with a disability

premium_icon Path to open the Condamine River to people with a disability

New section of the walkway is almost complete

Lister booted from parliament as biosecurity raises tensions

premium_icon Lister booted from parliament as biosecurity raises tensions

Southern Downs MP exiled for an hour after outburst

Big night out planned to help drought-stricken farmers

premium_icon Big night out planned to help drought-stricken farmers

Resident steps up to raise funds for producers