Apology for fire flyer after death

AN ELECTRICIAN has unreservedly apologised after residents in Barney Point were upset by an advertising-flyer he dropped in their letter boxes on Sunday.

A house fire on Callide Crescent left one man dead last weekend and, less than 48 hours later, residents found a photo of the burnt-out house on an advertisement for a smoke alarm maintenance service.

A number of residents, still in shock over the death of their 26-year-old neighbour, spoke to The Observer about the flyer saying they were appalled by the use of the photo in advertising so soon afterwards.

The electrician answered a message from the Gladstone Observer yesterday and explained that he only found out about the fatality on the news after he had sent the flyer out and he “highly regretted” sending it out straight away.

“I can't take it back, but I am very, very sorry,” he said.

He said he was trying to raise awareness, because April 1 was National Change Your Smoke Alarm Day and he had forgotten to send out flyers at the time.

“I was definitely not trying to drum up business for myself.

"I was just trying to raise awareness (about smoke alarms).”

He expressed sorrow over the man's death.



Growing NDIS demand inspires new Warwick care service

Premium Content Growing NDIS demand inspires new Warwick care service

‘It’s something I feel I was born to do.’: New business helping rural residents...

BIRTHING CREATIVITY: Genesis behind new Warwick business

Premium Content BIRTHING CREATIVITY: Genesis behind new Warwick business

‘If it makes you happy there’s no harm in sharing it with everyone else’:...

COURT: Warwick man was drug ‘gopher’ for wife of 14 years

Premium Content COURT: Warwick man was drug ‘gopher’ for wife of 14 years

Police raid revealed Warwick man’s stash of marijuana and more than $3000 in...