Axel Rutherford died in hospital after damage from inhaling a household pin. Picture: GoFundMe
Axel Rutherford died in hospital after damage from inhaling a household pin. Picture: GoFundMe

Boy dies after inhaling pin

Ayla Rutherford was getting her eldest son's birthday cake ready when she stopped to have a shower - and her life changed forever.

Her boys had been running around "being crazy kids" and when her husband woke up on January 9, she decided to go have a shower after a busy morning preparing.

Ms Rutherford said all of a sudden she heard her family screaming downstairs that something was wrong with her four-year-old son Axel.

"I came downstairs to see my husband doing the Heimlich on Axel," she posted on GoFundMe.

READ MORE: The ball that caused boy to choke to death

Ayla Rutherford was having a shower when she heard her family screaming. Picture: Kennedy News and Media
Ayla Rutherford was having a shower when she heard her family screaming. Picture: Kennedy News and Media

 

Her youngest son was choking and her husband was doing the Heimlich manoeuvre. Picture: Kennedy News and Media
Her youngest son was choking and her husband was doing the Heimlich manoeuvre. Picture: Kennedy News and Media

The US mum said she watched as her little boy went limp before paramedics arrived and rushed him to hospital.

"We waited for hours. It felt like days," she said.

"When finally around 4pm the doctor told us they found out Axel aspirated a tack. A thumb tack. Ones you hang pictures on the wall or posters.

"And it had punctured his right lung and blocked the other. They told us because he was without oxygen for more than 20 minutes that he would be brain dead."

READ MORE: Toddler undergoes major surgery after swallowing button battery

Little did they know Axel had swallowed a pin. Picture: Kennedy News and Media
Little did they know Axel had swallowed a pin. Picture: Kennedy News and Media

 

Mrs Rutherford said everyone should get rid of pins at home. Picture: Kennedy News and Media
Mrs Rutherford said everyone should get rid of pins at home. Picture: Kennedy News and Media

The family's prayers were answered in hospital when, after the third day and as they were preparing to say goodbye, Axel twitched and tried to gasp for air.

"So they could not declare him brain dead," Ms Rutherford said.

"I thank god for the extra days to be with him even though he couldn't do anything."

But days later the family got a call from a doctor to say that new tests showed Axel was brain dead.

"Our baby was gone he was only breathing because of life support," she said.

"Daddy and I held our baby one last time."

Axel died in hospital a week later after being declared brain dead. Picture: Kennedy News and Media
Axel died in hospital a week later after being declared brain dead. Picture: Kennedy News and Media

Ms Rutherford said she wanted to raise awareness for other parents to remove all thumbtacks from their homes.

"A thumb tack did so much damage to his little body," she said.

"I want anyone - a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or friend to remove tacks. There are other ways to hold things up that wont hurt or kill a child.

"I just want to save other babies or children and their parents from this pain.

"This stupid accident. Tacks are not worth your children."

 

 

Originally published as Boy dies after inhaling pin



Darling Downs postie backed Holgate’s bullying claim

Premium Content Darling Downs postie backed Holgate’s bullying claim

The Cecil Plains postmaster said ex-Australia Post CEO Christine Holgate saved...

EXPLAINED: Everything you can do now restrictions have eased

Premium Content EXPLAINED: Everything you can do now restrictions have eased

Everything you can do now COVID-19 restrictions have eased

Flood damage to skyrocket past ‘disaster trigger point’

Premium Content Flood damage to skyrocket past ‘disaster trigger point’

REVEALED: First estimates of floods repair bill and why it will take SDRC years to...