Warwick woman thought she'd die when strangled by husband

CONVICTED: A Warwick man pleaded guilty to two domestic violence charges at Warwick District Court yesterday.
CONVICTED: A Warwick man pleaded guilty to two domestic violence charges at Warwick District Court yesterday. Pexels

A WARWICK woman said she felt like she was going to pass out and die when her husband wrapped his hand around her neck and choked her.

An argument over a light being left on was the precursor to the serious attack, which left the woman with cuts to her top lip and nose as well as red marks on her neck.

The assault ended when Nathan John Beer hit his head on a kitchen cupboard.

He was charged in March with assault occasioning bodily harm and strangulation.

At Warwick District Court yesterday, Crown Prosecutor Michael Gawrych said the argument escalated when the 30-year-old woman took Beer's phone and he grabbed her from behind, wrapping his leg around her so she fell to the ground.

Mr Gawrych said Beer grabbed her face and pushed it into the ground before scratching at her face and eyes.

She fought back by biting his hand and arm, but he grabbed her throat and squeezed, which Mr Gawrych said she later described as a moment where she thought she was going to die.

"It's a very fine line between assault and death, especially when loss of breath is involved," Mr Gawrych said.

The 38-year-old man pleaded guilty to both charges.

Barrister David Jones said there were no other reports of violence in the marriageand the couple was separated at the time of the assault.

A letter was handed to Judge Craig Chowdhury, which stated the woman did not want Beer to face court over the attack.

"On the complainant's instructions to her solicitor, this was a once-off," Mr Jones said.

The court heard the couple hoped to maintain a civil relationship for the sake of their children.

Mr Jones said Beer also had a good work history.

During sentencing, Judge Chowdhury drew attention to the Australian parliament's desire to address such violence through new strangulation laws, which were passed last year.

"You'd have to be living under a rock if you don't understand the community concern around domestic violence," he said.

"You really should have been able to control yourself better."

Beer was sentenced 18 months' jail, but was placed on immediate parole.

Topics:  assault occasioning bodily harm domestic violence strangulation warwick crime warwick district court

New store to be unveiled at Rose City

MAKEOVER: The Reject Shop will reopen on Thursday in a much bigger store.

Warwick shoppers will notice something different this week

How Labor will bring 'best and brightest' to Qld schools

Generic photo of a classroom.

Fair Go win as Labor promises teacher support

Mature job seekers to be given leg-up by Liberals

NEW POLICY: The LNP has announced a new policy to support mature-age job seekers.

Millions promised in new policy to support older workers

Local Partners