Constables re-enact Tewantin fatal shooting
A SEVEN-month rookie constable has had to recreate the moments he and his partner, a senior constable with 10 years' experience, shot dead a 51-year-old grandfather at Tewantin.
The first-year constable was walked through the scene at Outlook Dr in a video re-enactment yesterday afternoon as part of an internal investigation into the shooting at about 2pm on Sunday.
Officers worked throughout the day to process the scene.
The responding officers were reported to have been confronted by an armed man on a rampage before both opened fire, fatally shooting Edward Wayne Logan in the chest.
The Daily reported on Sunday that neighbours had witnessed the deceased damaging cars and the house his family lived in, forcing them to flee the property, before charging at police with a weapon described as a "pole with wire on it".
Nearby residents, who asked not to be identified, spoke yesterday of hearing the disturbance, and then three distinct "bangs" before the area was flooded with emergency services personnel.
"We heard three loud bangs I think it was and yeah, we knew it was gunshots," a resident said.
"The place was swarming with police. They were here all night.''
Speaking at the scene yesterday, Acting Superintendent John Bosnjak confirmed the officers fired a total of three times.
He said they were holding up well despite the trying circumstances.
"It's obviously very difficult times," Actg Supt Bosnjak said.
"You know you train for these situations but I've never met a policeman that wants to endure this. It's a very testing time and I really do feel for them."
While he was able to rule out a sledgehammer as the weapon officers were threatened with, Actg Supt Bosnjak could not rule out whether a letterbox post had been used during the rampage.
"I won't go into detail about that but obviously we do have some statements from witnesses that we're working our way through... but I can't comment about what the object was at the moment," he said.
"I've no information that would say there's a sledgehammer involved.
"At the moment the two officers are going through a run-through of what transpired last night (Sunday night) and obviously that's a very important factor around an investigation like this to identify what happened and what actions they took and why they took certain actions."
Actg Supt Bosnjak confirmed the Ethical Standards Command would take the lead on the investigation now.
They will look at a number of key factors, including whether a knife was used at any point, and the mental health status of the deceased, who was from Victoria.
The Seven Network reported last night the deceased was facing charges in Victoria, including making threats to kill.
Actg Supt Bosnjak expressed his sympathy to the family of the deceased and confirmed they were working with police in their investigations.