Man to stand trial over crash that killed unborn baby

A 42-YEAR-OLD Bundaberg man has been committed to stand trial for a car crash in which his passenger lost her eye and her unborn child.

John Christopher Webb is charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm while affected by alcohol, relating to a car crash on November 12, 2013.

At the time of the crash, Webb's car was fitted with a drink driving interlock device which stops the vehicle from being started if the driver has been drinking.

Police allege a 38-year-old pregnant woman blew into interlock device fitted to Webb's car before getting in the passenger seat, while Webb's father Jeff got in the back seat.

Webb applied for bail during an appearance in Bundaberg Magistrates Court this morning but withdrew his application during police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens' submissions opposing his release.

Sgt Stevens said it was alleged Webb smashed his red Honda into the back of a tractor travelling on the Isis Highway.

The prosecutor pointed to evidence given in a statement by the driver of the tractor who said she was driving on the far left of the road.

"I was travelling 55km an hour and heard a large bang and felt the tractor push forward," the driver's statement alleged.

Sgt Stevens pointed to evidence from a vehicle inspector who alleged there were no mechanical issues with the vehicle.

The prosecutor said a motorbike rider had also given evidence he had been travelling about 105km an hour when he was allegedly overtaken by Webb.

"I thought to myself, 'wow he's moving'," the man said in his statement.

Sgt Stevens said the motorbike rider gave evidence he saw Webb go to overtake the tractor before pulling back in because another vehicle was heading towards him in the opposite lane.

"I observed the red car pull back in and (saw) debris going flying," the statement read.

When Sgt Stevens began reading evidence from a man who alleged Webb and his father were intoxicated before getting in the car, Webb told his lawyer he no longer wanted to apply for bail.

The bail hearing was then ended and Magistrate John Smith committed Webb to stand trial in Bundaberg District Court at a date to be set and remanded him in custody.



ANZAC DAY: Allora remembers

ANZAC DAY: Allora remembers

An intimate Anzac Day service in Allora saw hundreds turn out

Family makes Allora trip for real Anzac experience

Family makes Allora trip for real Anzac experience

Aaron Curran, a former military photojournalist spoke at the service

Get ready for huge wedding expo in Warwick this weekend

Get ready for huge wedding expo in Warwick this weekend

Florists, caterers and venue owners in one place, oh my!

Local Partners