Police revoke emergency situation in West Ipswich
UPDATE 6PM: An an emergency situation declared under the Public Safety Preservation Act at West Ipswich this morning has since been revoked.
The declaration was made at 9.20am after further material was located at the property where an explosion occurred on Thursday.
Specialist police conducted examinations and removed hazardous material at the site today.
Investigations into the incident are continuing.
UPDATE 11.30AM: The man who escaped an West Ipswich bomb blast with minor injuries faced Ipswich Magistrates Court on Monday morning.
Glen Charles Dell appeared in the dock for a hearing which lasted only minutes in relation to the explosion at a Clay St home last week where a man blew his hands off.
He was charged with one count each of attempts to destroy property by explosives, unlawful deposition of explosives or noxious substances, manufacture explosive without authority, offence in relation to unauthorised and prohibited explosives and acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm.
The 37-year-old man who lost eight fingers and suffered traumatic injuries to genitals remains in an induced coma in the Princess Alexandria Hospital.
Dell was also charged with drug offences.
The 43-year-old sat in the dock with his arms folded and did not apply for bail.
He was remanded in custody and is due to reappear in August 16.
9.30AM: Police have declared an emergency situation under the Public Safety Preservation Act in West Ipswich.
The declaration was made at 9.20am and includes residents and streets within the boundary from Brisbane Street to the east, Burnett, Darling East, Syntax and Herbert streets to the north, Challinor and Johnstone streets to the west and Tiger Street to the south.
Police are advising residents to remain inside with no evacuations required at this time.
Specialist police are currently conducting further examinations at the property on Clay Street where an explosion occurred around 6.30pm on Thursday night.
Investigations into the incident are continuing.
Further advice will be provided when the emergent situation is revoked.
8AM: Police have charged a 43-year-old man in relation to an explosion at West Ipswich on Thursday.
He has been charged with one count each of attempts to destroy property by explosives, unlawful deposition of explosives or noxious substances, manufacture explosive without authority, offence in relation to unauthorised and prohibited explosives and acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm.
He has also been charged with a number of drug offences.
He is due to appear in the Ipswich Magistrates Court today.
Specialist police will re-attend the Clay Street address this morning to conduct further examinations.
6AM: Detectives continue to search for explosive chemicals in the back yard of a West Ipswich home following the discovery of more concealed highly volatile substances.
The police bomb squad was called back to carry out an eighth controlled explosion at the Clay St house at 1pm yesterday after a small glass jar containing material believed to be used to make home-made bombs was found under a pile of wood.
Police received information about its location, leading to an emergent situation being reinstated about 9am yesterday in streets surrounding the home.
This follows three days of police-detonated blasts after a 37-year-old man lost all but his thumb and forefinger on his right hand, and suffered traumatic injuries to his groin and genitals in an explosion at the residence on Thursday evening.
Ipswich Inspector Keith McDonald said the man was still in an induced coma at Princess Alexandra Hospital.
"This is a large quantity of material we have located," Insp McDonald said.
Police said the latest container, believed to be wrapped in a t-shirt, appeared to be the same substance as the hundreds of grams of chemicals found when officers scoured the home on Friday.
He said several home-made devices wrapped in plastic and duct tape were found.
"Due to the high volatility of the material it is not in a position for us to be able to sample it, so we've had to take the necessary action of detonating the material at its current location," he said.
"There's no sinister motive to where it has been located. It's been placed where the person can locate it again."
Fire and rescue officers, ambulance crews and SES were on standby for the latest controlled explosion.
Detectives continued to search the back yard for suspect material yesterday afternoon after forensic police finalised investigations inside the house. Sandbags brought in by the SES were used to contain the blast at the rear of the property, near a shipping container.
On Saturday, the Explosive Ordnance Response Team and teams of crime officers seized computers, PC components and mobile phones in a sweep of the home and vehicles.
Acting Inspector Geoff Noller said a locksmith was called in on Saturday to open a safe, but nothing of interest was found.
"It remains a crime scene and local detectives are completing their searches," he said on Saturday.
"The list is huge of the things we are going to take away. The exhibits will be taken into possession and will be analysed.
"Both men were known to police, but not in relation to this type of activity."
Insp McDonald said other recent explosions would form a part of investigations to see if the incidents were related.
"We have now seen the result of the activation of this material, particularly here on Thursday night and in other similar circumstances where people are making stuff they find on the internet, which is highly volatile and dangerous material," he said.
"I sympathise with the residents that it is frustrating, but the search of the residence for this type of material is very slow and painstaking."
THURSDAY: Ipswich has been rocked by 24 hours of bomb drama after police found highly volatile chemicals and devices in a suspected home-made explosives factory.
The police bomb squad yesterday carried out a series of controlled explosions at the same West Ipswich home where a man's hand was blown off in a blast on Thursday evening.
The Queensland Times understands the 37-year-old man has also received traumatic injuries to his groin and genitals.
The man has no digits on his left hand and just his thumb and forefinger on his right.
He has sustained damage to a soft tissue area of his body and some shrapnel injuries to his face and chest.
He remained in the Princess Alexandra Hospital intensive care unit last night in a critical but stable condition.
A 43-year-old man taken to Ipswich Hospital with hand injuries was released early yesterday morning.
A third person at the home escaped the blast unharmed.
Large quantities of a highly volatile explosive material were found at the Clay St home as police continued their investigations into the initial explosion.
Police said the powder that exploded in the man's hands on Thursday night was produced in the home.
The bomb squad began its first controlled detonations about 3am yesterday.
Forensic police continued to scour the home for evidence throughout the morning and said they had uncovered more suspicious devices.
Police declared an emergency situation for the second time in a day at 2pm.
They found hundreds of grams of chemicals in two jars and some home-made devices wrapped in plastic and duct tape.
These devices were destroyed in a controlled explosion at 4.30pm after having been placed in holes dug in the home's backyard
A louder explosion rang out about an hour later as another device was destroyed.
Ipswich police inspector Keith McDonald said the chemicals involved were similar to the those used at the Bunnings Warehouse construction site, which faces the house, two months ago.
In that incident, a home-made explosive booby trap failed to detonate properly after it was triggered by a site worker.
"The material that has been located here is similar to the material that's been involved in the other incidents in the Ipswich area and that gives us cause for concern," he said.
Police found party poppers, which were a key component of the device found at the Bunnings construction site, at the home.
But Insp McDonald said the devices were different in construction to the Bunnings bomb.
Neighbours recalled their shock upon hearing the explosion about 6.30pm on Thursday night.
Bill Elliot said the man had lived the at the home for two years and helped him during the January floods.
Kate O'Neill said the initial explosion shook her house.
"A neighbour walked up and told me a man had lost his hands. Another bang happened and I called 000," she said.
Ms O'Neill said she had heard explosions during the past four months.
Earlier this month The Queensland Times reported that authorities had been unable to trace the cause of a loud explosion heard across much of the city.