Don’t come home from holidays to a housebreak
SADLY, you may not be the only one excited you are heading away for the Christmas Break.
Criminals are also looking forward to you going away.
While there is no guaranteed way to keep criminals out of your home it is important that you make it as difficult as possible for them to break in. Here are a few simple steps you can take when heading away:
- Tell your neighbour if you are heading away. If you don't know your neighbour that well, let a friend know and ask if they to keep an eye on your place.
- Ask your neighbour/friend to collect your mail and papers.
- Ask if they can put your bins in and out on your rubbish collection days.
- Ask them to water your plants.
- If you are going for some time arrange for someone to mow your lawn.
Each of these suggestions may give undesirables the illusion that someone is at home.
It is also important to keep your holiday plans off social media.
While it is nice to share your plans and holiday snaps with your friends they may not be the only ones who can access your account, regardless of your privacy. It is important to let your children know about this too.
Finally hide all your valuable items.
Out of sight, out of mind may play to your advantage in this case. Make sure you don't have your curtains open allowing full view of a Christmas Tree surrounded by gifts or your valuables in clear sight.