Don't get a shock this Christmas
A BATCH of faulty Christmas lights have been pulled off the shelves, with fears exposed wires could result in an electric shock.
A total recall was issued for the product and anyone who purchased The Reject Shop's 10m Christmas lights over the past three months has been urged to discontinue use and return the product to the store.
The product's full name is Christmas Controllable Ropelight, Model No. LSRC10, with the batch code TRS052011.
The nationwide product was voluntarily recalled by the importer and Industrial Relations Minister Cameron Dick said everyone should take care when purchasing and installing Christmas lights.
"Christmas may be called the silly season by some but that's no reason to take silly risks when it comes to electrical safety," Mr Dick said.
"An electric shock is not the sort of surprise you want when enjoying Christmas this year.
"We all know that families can incur extra expenses at Christmas so cheap or second-hand lights can be tempting, but such lights can pose a very real risk of causing an electric shock or starting a fire."
Mr Dick said each year in the lead-up to Christmas, inspectors from the Electrical Safety Office audit Christmas lights suppliers across the state to weed out electrically unsafe products.
"In 2010, the Electrical Safety Office audited 44 decorative lighting businesses," he said.
"Inspectors have already begun random audits in the lead-up to Christmas this year to ensure lights being sold have been approved and are safe."
Be wary of second hand and lights brought over the internet
Buy lights from a reputable retailer
Check for damage before installing
Look for an approval number and regulatory compliance logo that meets Australian standards
Do not overload power points
(Source: Electrical Safety Office)