DANIEL Morcombe's mother Denise has begged supporters to be careful with their comments on social media. She made the plea as the case against her son's alleged murderer took a leap forward.

"We don't want anything to hurt this trial or the outcome," Denise (right) said.

Brett Peter Cowan, 43, yesterday was committed to stand trial in the Queensland Supreme Court for allegedly abducting and murdering Daniel Morcombe.

Cowan simply said "no sir" when asked if he wanted to say anything or enter a plea in the Brisbane Magistrates Court.

His lawyers say a bail application is now "likely" after they review the transcripts from the committal hearing.

The 13-year-old's parents have spent more than nine years trying to find out what happened to their son and this week they have an alleged confession to stop their imaginations working overtime.

Cowan allegedly confessed to luring Daniel to his car from where he had been waving to a bus that drove past on the Nambour Connection Road on December 7, 2003.

He is alleged to have told covert police officers he accidentally broke Daniel's neck before he could molest him and then dumped his body in bushland in the Glasshouse Mountains.

"There's a little bit of relief that it's going to trial but we're still never going to get Daniel back," Mrs Morcombe said.

Bruce Morcombe said the committal hearing had been extremely difficult for the family but they intended to sit through "every possible moment" of Cowan's trial.

"It takes its toll," Mr Morcombe said.

"There's sleepless nights, anxiety and you're always concerned about the style of questioning but, more so, what will be divulged in the public arena.

"I think the evidence we heard on Tuesday was particularly graphic and it made the crime that much more real, I suppose.

"The mind has played with the unknown for nine years.

"In some areas it was worse than the mind playing tricks on us and in some areas it was not as graphic.

"You imagine all sorts of things but we're sort of glad that information has come forward."

Mrs Morcombe said knowing what happened to their son made her "more determined" to continue their work through the Daniel Morcombe Foundation.

"It actually gives us a lot more reason now to go out to the schools and promote the message of child safety," she said. "They've all got to be so careful of who's out there and what happens."

Chief magistrate Brendan Butler said he believed there was sufficient evidence to send Cowan to trial.

He said it was not his role to make findings of fact or determine Cowan's guilt which would be up to a jury.

"I must take the Crown case at its highest and on that basis determine if a jury, properly instructed, could return a verdict of guilty on that evidence," he said.

The jury would decide whether Cowan's alleged admissions were "true and reliable".

But there was evidence Cowan was in the area the day Daniel disappeared and circumstantial DNA evidence established Daniel's remains were where Cowan allegedly told covert officers he had dumped the body.



Teacher says games are the way to go to help children learn

premium_icon Teacher says games are the way to go to help children learn

She's created a new games kit to help build skills and confidence

Man on death's door took gutsy step, now healthier than ever

premium_icon Man on death's door took gutsy step, now healthier than ever

At 70, Don Chisholm is the healthiest he's ever been in his life

9 fun things to do around Warwick this weekend

premium_icon 9 fun things to do around Warwick this weekend

Live music, car racing, bush dancing and more happening around town

Local Partners