Duo in court for alleged bashing

A MAN and teenager accused of bashing a man outside a Warwick hotel so severely he suffered a fractured skull and brain haemorrhage have been committed to stand trial.

Stanthorpe man Steven Mark Elson and Warwick teenager Xylon Ray Smith appeared in Warwick Magistrates Court yesterday to face charges related to an incident in the early hours of March 12.

Elson, 33, and 18-year-old Smith have each been charged with one count of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm over the incident.

The two co-accused appeared in court together yesterday, however were represented by separate counsel.

Six witnesses - including a doctor who treated the alleged victim after the altercation - gave evidence during yesterday's proceedings under cross-examination by the defence counsel.

Police claim the three men were involved in an argument outside a local licensed premises after closing time on the Friday night, which soon progressed to the car park of a nearby shopping centre.

Elson and Smith are both accused of punching the 33-year-old victim and one of the men is alleged to have lifted the victim up and dropped him onto his head.

It is alleged the victim suffered a brain haemorrhage and fractured skull as a result of the fight and afterwards spent several weeks in hospital, including time in an intensive care unit.

The alleged victim is also believed to have incurred partial hearing loss and facial nerve paralysis as a result of the altercation.

Neither Smith nor Elson were required to enter a plea yesterday and were committed to stand trial in the Warwick District court at a date to be set.

A number of exhibits were tendered to the court yesterday, including witness statements, CCTV footage from the incident and the victim's medical records.

It is expected the proceedings will take at least six months before they are heard in the District Court, which is the second rung in the Queensland court system after the Magistrates Court.

District Court matters are presided over by a judge and are held in Warwick three or four times a year to hear cases which could involve a jury trial.

The charge of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in jail.

Smith and Elson have both been released on bail until their next court appearance and are prohibited from having any contact with the alleged victim.

‘Volatile’: Expert’s fears over Warwick rental shortage

Premium Content ‘Volatile’: Expert’s fears over Warwick rental shortage

Staff cop abuse from stressed renters as extreme shortages risk leaving Warwick...

PM’s gas deal to cut Qld power prices, create jobs

Premium Content PM’s gas deal to cut Qld power prices, create jobs

Gas exporter agreement will likely see power prices drop

Man narrowly avoids jail after Southern Downs drug bust

Premium Content Man narrowly avoids jail after Southern Downs drug bust

The father claimed he only sold marijuana to support his own years-long...