Ed Qld remains tight-lipped
EDUCATION Queensland has refused to release further details about an asbestos scare at Killarney State School last month, saying the matter is still under investigation.
As reported on Thursday, asbestos in the ceiling of a school building was disturbed while work was being done in the classroom above.
Ceiling sheeting in a corner of an art classroom below was penetrated while students and a teacher were in the room, but an EQ spokesman said while they were “not in the vicinity” of the work, access to the classroom was restricted as a as a precautionary measure.
The spokesman said following rectification work access to the classroom was reinstated on June 2.
The Daily News yesterday asked for more information, including the name of the contractor who caused the damage and exactly how the ceiling was penetrated.
EQ was also asked if it was normal practice to undertake work in buildings known to contain asbestos while staff and students were inside.
A spokeswoman said no further specifics could be made public “for the time being”, while an asbestos expert completed an official investigation.
But she said maintenance could be done in school hours as long as access was “restricted”, without defining specific no-go areas.
Is EQ open enough about asbestos? Email your thoughts to editor@warwick dailynews.com.au