Everything damaged in Civic Centre fire
COUNCIL has revealed the full extent of damage to the Stanthorpe Civic Centre, following a report tabled at the general council meeting.
During the fire in March the centre received extensive damage to the kitchen along with fire, smoke and water damage to the supper room and smoke damage throughout the stage, change room and foyer areas.
Council hired a firm in April to assess the damage and according to their report, council hopes to have the auditorium and stage area of the centre open by September with the kitchen and supper rooms to follow in January 2017.
Director engineering services Peter See said the fire had affected most of the centre.
“Most of the seating will go. Based on their opinion, it’s all damaged by fire,” he said.
“All the seating, all internal roofing, and the supper room will go.
“They will be picking the place apart to make it safe so we can move to reconstruction.”
The fire is believed to have been caused by works being carried out on the floor at the time with water damage ruining much of it. The total damage bill is estimated to top the $1 million mark.
CEO David Keenan said that the insurance would be “like for like” and that council was seeking Federal Government funds.
Betterment works were also proposed with council suggesting the heating in the centre could be improved.