Victims of gas bottle explosion warn of dangers
TWO people injured in a gas bottle explosion at Notch Point want to warn others of the dangers.
Te Rina Waerea, 22, and her partner Jayden Korn, 23, were injured when a gas bottle they were using exploded.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Ms Waerea said the couple were cooking dinner on a butane gas cooker when it exploded.
"Other campers who heard and witnessed the blast were quick to help us and we are still in shock," she said.
Both campers were not seriously injured from the blast on Good Friday.
Ms Waerea received burns and blistering to her arms and face, while Mr Korn had burns on his arms.
"No major burns... but I would like to thank the kind and quick thinking people at the campsite," Ms Waerea said.
"One lady for being a nurse and the paramedics for their quick remedies.
"We are still in shock but want others to realise the dangers of this freak accident that happened so quickly without warning."
RACQ-CQ Rescue transported the two campers to Mackay Base Hospital for treatment.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services central Queensland assistant commissioner Ewan Cayzer said all campers should take extra precaution at this time of year and be aware of fire dangers.
"The biggest risk is open fires have to be well maintained and prepared correctly. And have water nearby to put it out," he said.
"Things such as hoses can perish over time so all equipment should be checked whenever people go camping."
He said campers had an extra responsibility if they camped in an isolated spot.
"People need to be aware of where they are, and be ready to give clear instructions for emergency response (teams)," Assistant Commissioner Cayzer said.
"Preferably they would have a GPS and be able to give coordinates."