A DEPOT Hill family yesterday, in sweltering heat, watched in horror as roaring flames ate their home.

It was a scene of shock for the Wood Street family after their house was engulfed by 1.15pm yesterday.

When emergency services arrived at the scene everyone was out of the Rockhampton house.

Firefighters moved in. They fought the blaze for more than an hour.

But the fire had gutted the house and only a skeletal, charred structure remained.

Residents and motorists were buzzing around the house like a paparazzi mob.

Cameras recorded the fire as it created flames, some as high as 10 metres.

The owner of the house did not want to make comment yesterday.

 

A shop owner near the Wood St house told The Morning Bulletin he had noticed flames poking out of a side room from his shop counter.

"I've only known the family for about six months,'' Danny Kalksma said.

"They come in often and buy sweets, chips and drinks ... this is a terrible tragedy.

"This is about the most traffic and people I have seen in this area for a long time."

Rockhampton Fire Station officer Craig Gregory said no one was treated for any injuries.

"The main thing was the family was okay when we arrived," he said.

 

Mr Gregory said it was believed the fire started in the bedroom and investigations were continuing.

Another Wood St resident told The Morning Bulletin newspaper he thought the fire was thought to have started after a candle in a bedroom was knocked over.

About three hours after the fire, a house in Denison St went up in flames.

No casualties were reported and the fire was quickly contained.



Foxtel to launch Australia's first 4k channel

Foxtel to launch Australia's first 4k channel

Australian cricket fans will be among the first to benefit

JACKPOT: Where punters have won big around Warwick

premium_icon JACKPOT: Where punters have won big around Warwick

$100m up for grabs this week and our region has been lucky of late

Ice Age hits the region with sub-zero mornings

Ice Age hits the region with sub-zero mornings

Rug up! More frosty mornings are forecast to hit the Southern Downs

Local Partners