Caravan destroyed in explosive blaze
UPDATE: Murray's Bridge resident Barry Hoskins has been left devastated by a fire that destroyed his caravan this morning.
Mr Hoskins was alerted to the fire about 10.10am when the grinder he was using inside the house suddenly lost power.
The grinder was connected to a generator inside the caravan parked next to the house.
By the time Mr Hoskins discovered the reason behind the power-outage flames already covered one side of the 18-foot caravan.
"I had the caravan next to the house because it hasn't been connected to power yet," he said.
"When I lost power I came outside to find the caravan on fire."
A couple driving by the property called 000 while Mr Hoskins attempted to contain the flames with water from a water tank on his ute.
The fire quickly engulfed the caravan and had mostly burnt out by the time Warwick firefighters arrived at the scene.
Mr Hoskins said there was little to be done.
"I was trying to put it out with water from the tank but it didn't do much," he said.
"I wasn't game to get too close, the gas canisters inside were making a lot of noise as they exploded.
"It was pretty scary."
Luckily the flames did not reach the nearby house and Mr Hoskins believes it was the generator which caused the fire to start.
"It must have fallen over and was still running while it was on its side," he said.
"It went up pretty quickly and was pretty much all over before the crews got here."
Mr Hoskins had plans to travel around Australia in the caravan sometime this year.
"I bought it from America two years ago and was planning on travelling around Australia this year," he said.
"They don't make them here, so I'll have to find another one in America to replace it."
A flat screen television, stereo and other electronic equipment inside the caravan was also lost.
"The caravan was insured but the house has only been here six months and it wasn't insured so I'm pretty lucky," he said.
"We were planning on renting it out when it was finished.
"I had electricians coming in a couple of weeks to connect the power."
EARLIER: Emergency services are battling a fire which broke out in a camper van south of Warwick.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services are at the scene of the fire on Derreen Rd at Murray Bridge.
The fire was reported to QFES about 10.10am.