Firies push for safety
THE busy fire season doesn’t seem to be burning off, and Warwick fire officers are urging safety after more fires were sparked yesterday.
Fire crews were called to a property along Dalrymple Creek Rd about 2.30pm, where about 12 acres of grass was alight.
Fire officers worked to protect a hay shed, but no other buildings were under threat.
At the time of print, fire officers had not yet determined the cause of the fire but station officer Dennis Burton said it was a timely reminder for increased vigilance.
“Because vegetation is so dry and there’s a high volume of it, people have to be careful when burning anything,” he said.
“We’re finding that people when they’re doing small burn-offs under two metres long, they haven’t got adequate equipment to stop it from spreading and it’s been getting away.”
Mr Burton said he recommended people contact the fire station for advice if they were unsure how to go about it.
Failing that, he added, there were other means to dispose of rubbish such as taking it to the tip.
“If you are going to light a fire, it’s best to do it late in the afternoon when temperatures cool down and you’ve got more humidity,” he said.
“You also need to make sure you’ve got water supply you can use to extinguish it with.”
Permits are needed for fires larger than two metres long and can be obtained through the Warwick Station or other rural stations.
Regional manager for South West region Wayne Waltisbuhl said incorrect disposals of ash were also keeping fire crews busy.
“A number of resources have to go to extinguish fires caused by ash – we’ve had one at Maryvale and one at Braeside recently,” he said.
“People need to dispose of ash in a safe receptacle such as a metal bucket and then soak it with water before putting it on the garden.
“Never put ash in wheelie bins, where it can still do damage.”
Fire permits available at Warwick Station on 4661 9655.