Firies save home from flue fire
DON’T neglect the upkeep of your chimney this winter – the risk is much greater than feeling cool on a chilly evening, our local firies have warned.
This week, Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Warwick station was called to a report of a chimney fire in William Street.
“This is the first chimney fire we have had this season and it is a timely reminder for residents,” Warwick station officer Dennis Burton said.
Upon arrival at the scene, crews identified a fire in the chimney, attached to the slow-combustion stove, which had travelled into a small fire in the roof.
Crews removed the iron roofing to extinguish the fire in the roof space, saving the occupants their home and their possessions.
The fire was suspected to have been caused by chimney build-up.
Mr Burton said he recommended that all residents with wood heating burn only well-seasoned wood in a stove or heater, which reduced the likelihood of build-up inside the chimney.
He said it was essential all residents had their stove or fireplace checked to ensure they were serviceable and their chimneys cleaned.
“If chimneys aren’t cleaned they can easily catch fire and then if there is any flammable matter in the roof it can catch fire in the roof space,” Mr Burton said.
“It is time to get out to people to be prepared to stop their homes being at risk of a fire.”
Olsen’s Home Hardware sales assistant Robert Cross said chimney-cleaning products were available from hardware stores to keep fires burning safe this winter.
“We have chemical cleaners to put through the chimney and also have mechanical brushes to put through the chimney,” Mr Cross said.
“We recommend both to people.”
QFRS offers a free service called Safe Home to provide safety advice, which can be done by calling 1300 369 003 or your local fire brigade.
Visit your nearest hardware store for cleaning products to keep your chimney clean this winter.