Firies save house but shed lost
THREE units from the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service rushed to an Acacia Av, Warwick, home at 9.30am today (Monday) after 000 calls about a shed fire.
Station officer Dennis Burton said his crew was at the station and immediately headed to the house and shed immediately behind a group of businesses fronting Wood St.
"Quick action by fire fighters saved the house which was slightly damaged," Officer Burton said.
The shed was gutted.
He said on the way to the fire, officers could see a large plume of black smoke," he said.
"Fire fighters on the scene donned breathing apparatus as we suspected there was asbestos in the shed. One fire fighters hosed the shed and another the house which received minor damage," he said.
"Quick action by the crews saved the house."
The house was less than 5m from the shed and joined by a high timber fence.
Permanent fire fighters went to the house and shed in one vehicle and were joined by two crews of auxiliaries with two additional fire vehicles.
A woman who rented the house and her three children were alerted to the fire by a neighour who said there was smoke coming from the shed.
"In true Aussie spirit, there were neighbours everywhere with hoses in their hands," she said.
The resident said there was nothing in the shed which was gutted.