Gap roadworks go on hold
IT will be a relief for motorists travelling to Brisbane this week as the Gap roadworks are put on hold to let the rock face settle.
A Department of Transport and Main Roads spokeswoman said driving conditions through Cunningham’s Gap were back to normal this week with stop/go and lane closures would be put back into place on May 24.
The project to remove rock, which became a threat after the heavy rain in the summer months, is expected to be completed by May 28 and at this time everything is on track.
After the break this week the roadworks will be back in place next week with work to be carried out under lane closures and stop and go between 8am and 4pm.
The spokeswoman said drivers should expect delays of about 10 minutes.
Final works of the project will be competed including mapping, measurements and documenting the new look of the rock face.
Traffic controllers and variable message boards will be in place and the speed limit through the worksite will be reduced.
“Motorists should expect delays, allow extra travel time and follow instructions given by traffic controllers,” the spokeswoman said.
Cunningham’s Gap opened yesterday until this Friday.
Work will continue from next Monday for the last week of roadworks, weather permitting.