Hometown rallies so family can rebuild after house fire
A FAMILY that had its home destroyed by an early morning fire this week has been overwhelmed by an outpouring of hometown generosity.
Tracey Butler and her three children Alex, 6, Thomas, 4, and Saira, 16 months, were holidaying in Rockhampton when a suspected electrical fault sparked a fire that gutted their Condamine home.
"I received a phone call at 4.50 in the morning - I was shocked," Mrs Butler said. "The only relief was that we weren't home at the time."
They lost everything, including all of their family photos, and were only left with the clothes they had with them on holiday.
The family faced a dark Christmas until the community of Condamine, on the western Darling Downs, rallied around the Butlers in an amazing way.
Yesterday, Mrs Butler and her children were moving into a home that the community had donated.
Inside that house was everything they needed to start their lives again - clothes, furniture, linen, white goods and more.
They were also buoyed by the reaction of their insurer, which provided an emergency payment and yesterday had started processing their claim.
Mrs Butler, while overwhelmed, said she was not surprised by the way Condamine residents had responded to the tragedy.
"That's what Condamine is all about," she said.
Mrs Butler and her children will celebrate Christmas before rebuilding in Condamine.
"We're going to just rebuild on the same block of land and start afresh," she said.