‘He said come on you know you want it’
A woman who was fondled by her Post Office boss and told she was like a Lamborghini he wanted to drive has broken down on camera in a no-holds barred documentary.
The woman known as Mandy, told Tracey Spicer in the second part of her ABC documentary, Silent No More, she had felt her boss looked at her like a daughter until he started grabbing her bottom and trying to goad her into sex.
In the second instalment of her documentary inspired by the MeToo movement, Spicer has lifted the lid on predatory behaviour and sexual harassment in Australian workplaces
The documentary, which aired on the ABC on Monday night, even featured men interviewed by Spicer, who described the Australian office sexual culture as toxic.
"The rape culture here in Australia is shocking," one man told Spicer.
"It … starts with a joke at work, 'Oh, I seen this sheila on the weekend. Oh, she's a sl*t'.
"It's got to stop. That's crap."
And one tearful victim of abuse confessed the debilitating effects, saying: "I lose my mind all the time. I break down into f***ing hysterics."
Spicer herself also said on air she is finding it hard to cope and has been issued with death threats following her work.
"People say I should be raped or killed," she said.
"As I continue to advocate, the relentless workload takes its toll.
"People tried to warn me about it and, sure enough, I just fell in a heap.
"On my bad days, I find it, um … I just feel like I can't cope, to be honest."
Mandy revealed how she was working for the licensed owner of a local post office for around 18 months under the delusion that he was a kind of father figure.
"The day that it started, he … told me that his feelings towards me had changed
"I'd walk past and … I remember him putting his hand, like, on my bottom.
"I was just trying to keep my job, so I put up with way more than … than you should have. "And the worst … assault … he just started rubbing my arms and down my arms and my body … just rubbing me everywhere and saying, 'Come on, come on … you know you want to'.
"I just stood there frozen and just said 'Stop, stop, stop'."
The man apologised, but didn't stop and kept on molesting Mandy until it came to a head.
"He said: 'If I've got a Lamborghini in the garage and I can't drive it, I don't want it here anymore'."
Mandy sued her boss under sexual harassment laws and won a record settlement for 30 proven sexual harassment incidents.
But he was never charged and still has his job, while she suffers terrible mental health issues.
Spicer returned to another sexual harassment victim, 39-year-old Summer, who was suffering while taking legal action against her real estate company where she was a director.
Ten months ago Summer left the real estate office after enduring months of sexualised comments.
She lodged a sexual harassment complaint after a fellow director sent a pornographic text with a picture "an Asian woman getting f***ed in the a***.
Summer said she acted so that "sexual harassment policies to be put in place".
Instead, the company locked her out of her office.
"I lose my mind all the time. I break down into f***ing hysterics," Summer told Spicer.
"I have night terrors. This shit has aged me by 10 years
"How employable am I now that I've come out and spoken out against an industry that is dominated by men?"
Spicer says in the second part of Silent No More there has been a backlash against the #MeToo movement, although many men have admitted their behaviour had been less than ideal.
Former News Corp magazine division editor Phil Barker confessed that he once had a "two-button rule" for women coming to Friday lunches.
"There had to be a bit of cleavage going on," he told Spicer.
Other men told her that Australia's "corporate workplaces are rampant with various levels of casual sexism" and objectification which devolved smart women down to just being "a physical creature".
But Spicer also said the "tsunami of injustice that would land in my inbox [is] not slowing down".
"I still get trolled every day," she said.
"It's become very normal to be trolled, sadly. Attacks like these encourage people to stay silent."
Spicer became the face of the #MeToo movement in Australia after calling for victims of sexual harassment or assault to contact her on Twitter on October 17, 2017.
"Currently I'm investigating two long-term offenders in our media industry. Please, contact me privately to tell your stories," she tweeted.
But she was soon overwhelmed with thousands of victims' responses and did not respond to many of the victims.
The ABC documentary also sparked controversy after it breached the privacy of some of the women who approached her. Their details were shown in the embargoed preview screening that was sent to media at the beginning of the month.
Spicer has issued a public apology. She told the National Press Club last month she was sorry for the breach of privacy but that she expected more from the documentary's producers and the ABC.
Spicer wrote on Facebook about the "devastating error", saying ""my heart goes out to the two women who were identified.
"I've been assured by both the production company and the ABC that every survivor identified in the final version has given their full consent."
As exclusively revealed by news.com.au, three women have now been threatened with defamation.
The women are either sexual harassment survivors or survivor advocates, including one female journalist who revealed to Spicer in an email the behaviour of a "grub" who works in the media.
Part of the female journalist's email appeared in the embargoed early edition of the documentary since withdrawn.
The reporter said that after complaining about the breach, instead of receiving an apology she was threatened with defamation.
Spicer has since offered to apologise to the journalist in person but has yet to do so.
Australia's 24-hour sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line is 1800 RESPECT. Free call 1800 737 732.