Disability Action Week to showcase our strengths
SMILES lit up the faces of Rose City's young residents, as community groups and schools joined forces to kick- start Disability Action Week celebrations yesterday.
Crowds gathered in the Leslie Park Youthspace for the Fun Day in the Park event, bringing together the community and people with disabilities for an afternoon of dancing, singing and activities.
Southern Downs Regional Council acting Community Services manager Pam Burley said the week was a culmination of events across the region.
"The activities are employing the word 'ability', not disabilities," she said,
"This week is about minimising the gap and bringing the community together.
"People with disabilities have the same hopes, dreams and aspirations as able-bodied people."
Scots PGC College students did a buddy walk with students with disabilities from other schools.
Dominic Andersen-Strudwick, who was paired with Warwick East State School student Cody Bergemann, said the buddying had been a fantastic experience.
"It's really good council has been able to organise this," he said. "For a lot of Scots students it's shown them people with a disability are just as able as anyone."
Disability Action Week activities run until Wednesday, with a number of free events in the Rose City.
Disability Action Week events
- Inspirational Lunch at Warwick Christian College. Today 11.30am - 3pm. Phone Elizabeth 0434 221 883
Disco 'Spring Hat', Tomorrow 6-9pm at Stanthorpe International Club. Phone Therese 4681 3020.
- Mental Health First Aid training, Tomorrow and Saturday 9am-4.30pm. Phone Christine 0402 447 012.
- Free movie night. Tomorrow 6pm, for 7pm start. The Lego Movie in Leslie Park. Phone Deanna 4661 3366
- Buddy up Golf Day at Warwick Golf Club. Tuesday 1-5pm. $10 per person. Phone Dave 0437 559 959.
Free morning tea and open day at Endeavour Learning and Lifestyle Centre in Stanthorpe. Phone Kerri 4681 3167.
Sharyn Rowen Memorial Walk from Piazza on Wednesday from 10am. Phone Alan 4681 4831.
- Indoor bowls. Wednesday, 10am - 12pm. $2 including morning tea. Phone Rhonda 4667 5155.