Homes in the danger zone

INURANCE WARNING: The region's location put properties at risk of flood and fire damage.
INURANCE WARNING: The region's location put properties at risk of flood and fire damage. Lisa Hemmings / Warwick Daily Ne

WARWICK residents have been urged to check their homes weren't under-insured as factors specific to the region put properties at high risk of fire and flood damage, a major insurer has warned.

This week's Cyclone Debbie, which has caused billions of damage to North Queensland, is a warning to home owners to check their property and contents were adequately insured.

RACQ Insurance has urged Warwick residents not to be complacent despite living away from cyclone zones.

RACQ spokesman Paul Turner said the structure of the city's homes and the region's location put properties at risk of flood and fire damage.

"Both fire and flood are heartbreaking for anyone but the likelihood of a home and its entire contents being completely destroyed is greater with fire and Warwick has a very high percentage of wooden homes,” Mr Turner said.

"Living in a regional area such as the Southern Downs also makes bushfires a very real threat to homes and the city is on a major river, which floods.”

He urged residents to regularly asses the value of their homes and check it against their insurance policies.

"Ask a builder or real estate agent what the value of your home is and if you have had renovations done recently make sure they are included in the policy.”

"When you take out an insurance policy, ask your insurer whether its home and contents also covers you for all insurance, such as storm and high tide.

"No one likes to take out insurance but it provides peace of mind when you know that your home and contents can be replaced at it proper value.”

Major insurers warn that about 80% of Australian homes are under-insured.

Steps to full coverage:

Use online insurance calculators as a guide each year to help make sure you have enough cover.

The cost of rebuilding your home is not the same as its real estate value. A professional valuation by a builder can help ensure you know its replacement cost.

Rebuilding costs may also be affected by changes to local regulations and by-laws.

New furniture should also be added to contents insurance.

Your local council or a local builder can help you understand these.

Check whether your policy covers supplementary costs.

Other expenses you'll be up for if your home needs to be rebuilt such as temporary accommodation. Each insurer treats these differently.

If you work from home, you may need a separate business insurance policy.

Topics:  insurance racq

Allora shines for autumn festival

Ross Neale and his outstanding penny-farthing bicycle wowed the crowds at the Allora Autumn Festival.

It's Allora's time to shine over the weekend

Truck fire on Cunningham Hwy

photo Lea Emery / Fraser Coast Chronicle

Reports of a truck fire had crews scrambling this afternoon

Mopar Muscle cars heading to Morgan Park this afternoon

Mackenzie, Payton and Savannah Ganly at the Mopar car display in Leslie Park.

Head out to Morgan Park for an afternoon of classic Chrysler action

Local Partners

Sam Thaiday stars in Broncos’ carpool karaoke

SAM Thaiday has stunned with his karaoke rendition of Celine Dion.

What's on the small screen this week

My Kitchen Rule's mother and daughter contestants Valerie and Courtney.

MY KITCHEN Rules grand finalists face off and Love Child returns.

Anthony LaPaglia steps out with new fiancee

Anthony LaPaglia.

Actor Anthony LaPaglia engaged to much younger girlfiend

Ronan Keating a dad for fourth time

Ronan Keating and Storm Keating.

Bouncing baby boy for Boyzone star

Lion King remake well under way

Seth Rogen.

More Lion King remake cast members revealed

Splendour auctions VIP passes for flood appeal

Crowd at Splendour in the Grass 2016.  Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Each pass will have a reserve price of $500

Falling rents could spell doom for housing prices

What if I told you housing in Australia was getting cheaper?

Couple gets rich renovating run-down city homes

RENO RADICALS: Baden and Nelson Marino-Hall have turned three Toowoomba homes around for profit, saying the Garden City was a haven for renovators like themselves.

The couple has already turned around three homes

Townhouse pitch raises questions over 'high density'

BIG PLANS: Residents have a chance to offer their opinion on plans to build 42 townhouses at Raceview.

Developer plans 42 townhouses for Ipswich suburb

7 million dollar city homes for sale right now

3 Keira Court, Blue Mountain Heights.

Here are seven of Toowoomba's best, and most expensive, houses

'Raping and pillaging': Landlord's anger with nightmare cost

Chris Duane, who is chairman of the body corporate for Terralina Court, says insurance companies are charging too much for premiums.

BODY corporate boss unleashes on huge costs dumped on home owners.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!