Crash inquiry postponed to 2012
AN INQUEST into a tragic highway accident which claimed the lives of four popular young people in Warwick in January 2008 has been re-scheduled to be held in Brisbane in February next year.
Max Thorley, Nick Nolan, Abigail Ezzy and Brett McKenzie lost their lives near the Eight Mile intersection north of Warwick on the night of January 5 that year, when the vehicle in which they were travelling was struck by a B-double.
The Warwick community was devastated by the loss of the four lives, which happened on the same weekend as the 2008 floods.
In January of this year the Queensland Coroners Court determined that an inquest into the fatal crash would be held and a series of pre-inquest hearings have been conducted since in relation to evidence and witnesses.
The latest pre-inquest hearing was held this week, with the inquest originally having been set down to commence on Monday at the Warwick Magistrates Court.
A spokeswoman for the Queensland Coroner confirmed the inquest would now be set down for next February but did not disclose the reasons behind the decision to set the date back to next year.
It is believed the inquest will be held in Brisbane.
Coroner Tina Previtera has previously said the most central issue was related to who was driving the Honda vehicle at the time of the collision, which took place on the Cunningham Hwy near the Willowvale Rd turn-off.
Ms Previtera has also said the inquest would try to establish how the crash happened and in which positions all the young people were sitting in the car.
It is understood that a pathologist and an engineer will be among the experts asked to supply evidence at the inquest next year, along with the driver of the truck involved in the accident and the Queensland Ambulance Service.
Ms Previtera said in January it was important that the circumstances surrounding the tragedy were “drawn to a conclusion”.