Man accused of assaulting 3 girls around 20 years ago

AN 85-YEAR-OLD man has been granted an extension of bail after being accused of indecently treating three young girls, about 20 years ago.

The Tinana man, who cannot be named in order to protect the girls, did not enter a plea when he faced 12 charges of indecent treatment of a child under the age of 12.

The three girls were all related to the man.

It is alleged the offences occurred between January 1993 and January 1998 in Tinana, Maryborough and Bundaberg.

Defence lawyer John Willett said the matters were quite historical.

"He hasn't spoken to (the complainants) in ten years," he said.

Mr Willett said the man also suffered extremely ill health.

The man needed crutches to help him walk in court.

Even with the aids, he moved quite slowly through the court room.

Mr Willet said if the man did not receive specialist care regarding his glaucoma he ran the risk of growing blind.

He said the man also regularly spoke with his doctor and saw a specialist to treat foot pain.

Magistrate John Smith granted an extension of the man's bail with a stern warning.

"If you have any contact with the complainants I will revoke bail," he said.

The matter was adjourned.

The man is set to appear in Maryborough Magistrates Court on February 23.



Redbacks out to restore pride in grand final rematch

Redbacks out to restore pride in grand final rematch

Redbacks will have the chance to redeem last year's grand final loss

Money trickles back to region's water tank investors

Money trickles back to region's water tank investors

Installing a new tank? Expect to get money back under scheme.

St Mark's community still growing after 150 years

St Mark's community still growing after 150 years

Warwick church rings in a special birthday with Queensland Governor

Local Partners