Man charged over fatal crash 'walked past dying motorist'

The fatal crash at the intersection of James and Ruthven Sts, Toowoomba.
The fatal crash at the intersection of James and Ruthven Sts, Toowoomba. Stuart Cumming

A DRIVER accused of causing the death of Luke Walker casually walked past the fatally injured 41-year-old as he lay dying in the street, a court has heard.

Shocking details of yesterday's crash at the intersection of James and Ruthven Sts were placed before

Toowoomba Magistrates Court this morning during the first mention of charges against New South Wales man Junior Ratu Albert.

Police will allege Albert, from Dongdingalong, had been drinking at Agenda Niteclub before going to his white Holden sedan parked near the intersection of Ruthven and Margaret Sts.

Officers said the 27-year-old then drove south along Ruthven St, ultimately running a red light at the intersection of James St and colliding with a Hyundai wagon carrying Mr Walker, women Lacey, Catherine and Louise Ann Walker as well as a baby boy.

"The impact of the collision has caused victim one (Mr Walker) to eject from the rear left passenger door, where he has then become airborne before coming to rest in an eastbound lane on James St, with the result of the crash causing fatal injuries," police said.

"Victim two (Catherine Walker) has also been ejected from the unit two (Hyundai) vehicle, where she has come to rest in the carpark of Hotondo Homes."

Documents before the court stated Albert exited his car and walked casually towards a Caltex Service Station.

"The defendant has walked past victim one (Mr Walker) who was lying on the road and would have been in an obvious state that required urgent medical assistance."

Albert is then alleged to have fled north along Ruthven St, only to be arrested a short time later.

"The defendant made no attempt to render assistance to any of the victims who he ought to have known were injured, nor did he seek any medical help for any person involved."

Police said Albert told them he was scared and scared for his family.

He is alleged to have returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.124 per cent.

Albert was well-supported this morning by family members who had travelled from New South Wales for his court mention.

Prosecutor Greg McIntyre asked for an adjournment until Monday so police could obtain more information.

"There may be different charges levelled against Mr Albert," Mr McIntyre said.

Defence solicitor David Burns said he would be applying for his client's bail on Monday.

Albert's charge of dangerous driving causing death whilst adversely affected by an intoxicating substance and leaving the scene without help as well as two counts of grievous bodily harm were adjourned until Monday.



Man who fled violent country looks to Warwick for security

premium_icon Man who fled violent country looks to Warwick for security

Refugees 'ready and willing' to settle, but one thing is missing.

Transport giant on track to deliver new jobs to Warwick

premium_icon Transport giant on track to deliver new jobs to Warwick

A major investment in the Southern Down is going full steam ahead.

Southern Downs gardeners set example in changing climate

premium_icon Southern Downs gardeners set example in changing climate

Cities look to the Southern Downs as changing climate forces change.

Local Partners