Shock victim brought back to life
A MAN was brought back to life by his workmates and paramedics after his heart stopped following a terrifying electrical accident at a worksite west of Ipswich.
The roofer was on top of a property in Mill St, Rosewood, when he drilled a screw through a corrugated iron roof and into a live electrical wire at 10am on Tuesday.
When the 35-year-old then touched the guttering he received an electric shock for some 30 seconds, before falling three metres to the ground.
His workmates performed CPR for five desperate minutes before an ambulance arrived.
Within a minute of arriving, paramedics gave the man a single shock from a defibrillator, which restarted his heart.
Ipswich intensive care paramedic David Martin said the man's heart was not beating when the first ambulance crew arrived at the rural property.
He said the CPR performed by his workmates had kept his blood flowing.
"The quick actions of his colleagues, noticing he was being electrocuted and calling us, made a huge difference towards a positive outcome," he said.
Mr Martin added that ensuring the man's blood was still flowing had increased his chances of making a good recovery.
"In the chain of survival it is important to get early CPR," he said.
The Ipswich crew, which arrived at the scene first, was in Rosewood when the 000 call was made.
The man was taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in a critical condition and remained in the intensive care unit on Tuesday night.
He also suffered a serious laceration to his hand during the incident.
An ambulance returned to the home an hour later after a second worker complained of suffering a minor electric shock.
A 27-year-old man was treated for a minor abdominal complaint and then taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment.
Police and Energex workers remained at the scene throughout the afternoon.
The incident is being investigated by Workplace Health and Safety officers.