Mander secures caravan park's future with 'win-win' plans
THE residents of a Brisbane caravan park, set to be sold for public housing, lost their $5.5 million bid to buy the land.
But Premier Campbell Newman told them the alternative should give them "piece of mind".
The Monte Carlo Caravan Park on the city's southside was one of three caravan parks the State Government last year announced it would sell off before Housing Minister Tim Mander secured its future under "win-win" plans announced on Tuesday.
Under the plan, the not-for-profit housing providers can express interest in taking possession of the site in exchange for an agreement to build new social housing in key target areas.
The new owners can add additional mobile home accommodation on the site in future, but only if it does not impinge on the site's existing function as a caravan park.
Residents at Lazy Acres at Hervey Bay and Woombye Gardens on the Sunshine Coast are still fighting to hold onto their homes.
Monte Carlo Residents Association spokesman Michael Edridge asked Mr Newman on ABC Brisbane radio why his government did not accept the $5.5 million net profit they would have made from accepting the residents' offer.
Mr Newman said he was unaware of the offer on the Cannon Hill site but this option would mean good use of available land.
"We want to get some affordable housing or nursing home outcomes from that sale and that's what he is now working to," he said.
"I would have thought after the controversy that we've given people security and piece of mind.
"Should governments run caravan parks? The answer in my view is no.
"Governments are not particularly good at running those sorts of operations, it would be better run by someone else."
There are currently more than 25,000 households on the social housing waiting list in Queensland.