Man paralysed by spiked drink

A MAN has been lucky to regain the use of his legs after he was left paralysed by a spiked drink at a licenced venue in Glenelg last week.

The man, aged in his 20s, accepted a shot of alcohol from an unknown man about 11.30pm on Friday, January 19.

Shortly after leaving the licenced venue the victim became unwell and an ambulance had to be called.

He was taken to Flinders Medical Centre where he was treated for paralysis.

He was treated for two days at the hospital but has since been discharged and, while still recovering from the spiked drink, he has regained the use of his legs.

Police are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.
Police are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.

Police are investigating the incident and are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.

Detectives believe that substance used to spike the drink may have been a substance known as 'coma in a bottle', GBL or GHB.

The security camera footage from the hotel and surrounding area is being analysed by police

Police are reminding the public to be vigilant while drinking in public venues and not to accept any drinks for strangers.

Anyone with information about this incident that may assist the investigation is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or by going online.



Warwick man fronts court over two-year string of burglary, DV

Premium Content Warwick man fronts court over two-year string of burglary...

The man claimed he was going to use the stolen goods worth more than $5K to fuel...

Teen suffers ‘significant’ leg injury in workplace incident

Premium Content Teen suffers ‘significant’ leg injury in workplace incident

Paramedics remain at the scene of the incident north of Warwick.

100 YEARS’ SERVICE: Warwick Rotary marks huge milestone

Premium Content 100 YEARS’ SERVICE: Warwick Rotary marks huge milestone

The long-standing club hopes to use Rotary Australia’s centennial to launch an...