Prince Andrew ‘zero co-operation’ with FBI
The Duke of York has not responded to requests for an interview about the activities of Epstein - his billionaire financier friend who killed himself in a Manhattan jail in August.
A United States Attorney for the southern district of New York, Geoffrey Berman, revealed the news in a press conference outside Epstein's home early on Tuesday Australian time.
Mr Berman, who is overseeing the investigation, said: "To date, Prince Andrew has provided zero cooperation."
The bombshell comes after Prince Andrew said last year that he would help in finding out the truth about Epstein, a convicted pedophile who was facing new charges when he died.
The Duke of York quit royal duties following his trainwreck BBC interview last year where he tried to defend himself.
Prince Andrew said when asked last year: "I am willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency."
The Duke of York was accused of showing no compassion to Epstein's victims in the BBC interview, which he had reportedly told the Queen went well.
His PR guru Amanda Thirsk quit after the interview but received a significant leaving payment.
Australian based woman Virginia Roberts Giuffre, 36, who says Epstein used her as a sex slave, claims that he forced her to sleep with Prince Andrew three times.
She was 17 when she was photographed with Prince Andrew in London with his arm around her bare midriff in 2001.
Ms Roberts Giuffre revealed that she was "horrified and ashamed" after the encounter with Prince Andrew, 59.
However, he denied the claim saying that he had been at a Pizza Express in Woking on the night Ms Roberts Giuffre said they met at the Tramp nightclub.
He also claimed he did not sweat, although photographs emerged that appeared to contradict his claims.
Ms Giuffre Roberts said during a BBC interview: "He knows what happened, I know what happened and there's only one of us telling the truth."
Prince Andrew remains part of the fold in the royal family.
The Queen was photographed with him at a church service following Harry and Meghan's announcement they wanted to quit the royal family.
He has been referred to as the Queen's favourite son, but his older brother, Prince Charles, was reportedly behind the decision to force his early retirement.
Prince Andrew was likely to be excluded from official photographs of his daughter Beatrice's wedding to Italian property developer Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, 36, later this year.
The wedding will not be shown on television, and her father's reduced role comes after he did not attend her engagement party at the height of the scandal.
It comes as it was revealed that Epstein's "madam" Ghislaine Maxwell was so close to Prince Andrew she visited him four times in one day at Buckingham Palace, a former royal aide has claimed.
Maxwell even enjoyed intimate picnics in view of the Queen's bedroom window, according to Paul Page, a former royal protection officer, The Sun reports.
The Duke of York, has claimed he was "not that close" to Maxwell, who has been missing for more than six months.
But Mr Page - who worked with Prince Andrew between 1998 and 2004 - has hit back at the Duke's claims, saying Maxwell was a close friend who had regular secretive visits to the palace.
"The first occasion I had cause to meet Ghislaine was when the privy purse phoned down and said, 'We've got a guest coming for Andrew but the name is not to be entered in the book'. That was about 2001," Mr Page told The Sunday Mirror.
"She turned up in a chauffeur-driven Range Rover and we let her in. Half an hour after that me and my colleague walked through the garden to go back to the police lodge and he was having a picnic with her by the summer house, opposite the Queen's bedroom window.
"One of my colleagues saw her come in and out the Palace four times in one day."
The Sun reports that Maxwell, a British socialite and the youngest child of publishing tycoon and fraudster Robert Maxwell, has been named by victims of Epstein - who killed himself in a Manhattan jail cell last year - as his "madam" who groomed girls for sex with the billionaire and his rich and famous friends.
Epstein "sex slave" Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who now lives in Australia, said Maxwell forced her to have sex with Prince Andrew on three occasions when she was 17-years-old in 2001.
The Duke of York has denied the claims and in a BBC Newsnight interview last year, claimed he and Maxwell were "not that close".
But Mr Page - who worked with Prince Andrew between 1998 and 2004 - has hit back at the Duke of York's claims, saying Maxwell was a close friend who had regular secretive visits to the palace.
Leaked emails appeared to show Prince Andrew begging Maxwell to help him just hours after Ms Roberts Giuffre named him in US court papers.
A BBC Panorama documentary revealed e-mails allegedly sent between Prince Andrew and Maxwell in 2015 in which he begged her to help him just hours after Ms Roberts Giuffre lodged court papers in Florida claiming she had been forced to have sex with him.
She alleges she was later forced to have sex twice more in New York and the US Virgin Islands as a 17-year-old.
Once photographed in the pages of glossy magazines on the social circuits of London and New York, Maxwell has vanished from public life since Epstein's death and appears to have taken extraordinary lengths to keep her whereabouts a secret.
Her last known public appearance was in June 2019 at a charity supercar rally in Geneva, two weeks after it was announced the investigation into Epstein's sex crime activities would be reopened.
She is understood to have met the Duke of York on June 5 - the day before the rally - in London.
Speaking in the bombshell BBC Newsnight interview, Andrew said his last contact with Maxwell was "earlier this year (2019) funnily enough in the summer, in the spring, summer" but denied discussing Epstein.
Maxwell was raised in Oxfordshire and still has significant ties to the UK.
This report originally appeared in The Sun and is reprinted here with permission.